If you are planning on living in Qatar for an extended period, one of the first things you need to do is to get Qatar Driving License. Whether you are getting your first license or are an experienced driver, you must be informed of the driving license regulations.
Our detailed guide explains the Qatar driving license procedure step by step.
- Requirements for Qatar Driving License
- Is Your Current License Valid in Qatar?
- Qatar Driving License Procedure
- Time Required to Complete Driving Course
- Driving Test Procedure in Qatar
- Qatar Driving License Fees
- Automatic or Manual Transmission Vehicles
- How To Exchange / Transfer A Foreign License in Qatar
- Recent Changes To Qatar Driving License System
- FAQ on How To Get Qatar Driving License
Requirements for Qatar Driving License
18 years is the minimum age requirement to apply for light motor vehicles and motorcycle licenses in Qatar. However, 21 years is the minimum requirement to apply for a license for heavy vehicles like trucks, buses, forklifts etc.
It is compulsory that the applicant has a valid Residence Permit (QID) to get Qatar driving license. A visa copy and original passport are required if the Qatar ID is not issued.
Expatriates with some specific professions (which do not require driving) are not eligible to get Qatar driving licenses. Here is the list for your reference:
READ: List of Professions Not Eligible for Driving License in Qatar
The Traffic Department explains this to be a move to reduce traffic congestion on the roads. If you are a company-sponsored expatriate, please verify the profession mentioned on your Qatar ID with a driving school.
Is Your Current License Valid in Qatar?
Before enrolling on a driving course in Qatar, you must check if your current driving license (if you have one) is valid for exchange or direct test. Depending on the country of your existing driving license, you may be eligible for a simpler process:
- Driving licenses issued by some countries can be directly exchanged for Qatar Driving licenses without a driving test.
- Driving licenses issued by some countries make you eligible for a direct road test without enrolling on a driving course.
- Driving licenses issued by some countries make you eligible for a shorter training course, which means you can take a half course (20 classes) instead of a full course (40 classes).
To determine your eligibility, you must check with any authorised driving school or the Traffic Department.
Qatar Driving License Procedure
The procedure to get Qatar driving is as explained below:
Step 1: Select your driving school
There are several government-authorised driving schools in Doha. A common curriculum is followed by all driving schools in Qatar, which are governed and administered by the Ministry of Interior’s General Directorate of Traffic.
The applicant can choose any one of these. Here is the list for your reference:
READ: List of Driving Schools in Qatar with Course Fees
Step 2: Apply for NOC (No Objection Certificate) on Metrash2 mobile application.
Earlier the applicant had to get NOC from his sponsor in writing. Recently this has been changed to online approval, which can be done through the Metrash2 mobile app or MOI website.
- For company sponsorship: NOC has to be given by the company by using the company Metrash2 application.
- For personal sponsorship: NOC has to be given by the sponsor using the Metrash2 application.
- For Qatari males: NOC is not required.
- For Qatari females: NOC has to be given by the guardian using the Metrash2 application.
Steps to apply for Driving License NOC on Metrash2:
- Login to Metrash2 mobile app
- Click on “Traffic” –> “License Service” –> “License NOC”
- Enter the sponsored person’s QID or visa number in the specified box
- Select “New Issue”
- Select the required driving license category (motorcycle, car, bus etc.)
- Enter the email id and click “Next.”
- On the next page, confirm after reviewing the requested details
Once approved, the sponsor will get a Metrash notification on his phone.
These steps can also be done on the MOI website for companies and individuals with smart cards, as explained below.
Steps to apply for Driving License NOC on the MOI website:
- Go to the E-Services page on the MOI website
- Click on “Traffic Services”
- Click on “Driving License”
- Click on “Driving License NOC”
- Complete the required fields and submit the form.
- Once approved, the sponsor will receive a notification.
Step 3: Eye test for Qatar driving license
An eye test (vision test) is mandatory for all applicants and can be done at most driving schools. Alternatively, you may bring an Eye Test Certificate from an optometrist or ophthalmologist approved by the Traffic Department.
If the test is done at driving schools, they will update the test result on the MOI portal. The fee for eye tests ranges between QR 25 and QR 50.
The eye test could help indicate whether you suffer from myopia (short-sightedness), hyperopia (farsightedness), or other eyesight problems that may require corrective glasses or lenses.
Step 4: Decide course duration
If you have a previous driving license from another country, you may be eligible to opt for a half course. In such a case, you have to get approval from the Traffic Department by submitting your old driving license. Your driving school will check your eligibility and advise the course suitable for you.
Generally, a full course has 40 practical classes (in addition to theory and simulator classes), while a half course includes only 20 practical classes.
Step 5: Submit the required documents and pay the course fee
The applicant may submit the documents at any approved driving school of his or her choice.
Documents required for expatriate residents
- Valid Qatar ID (original + copy)
- NOC by Metrash2 (explained above)
- Colour Passport Size Photos (4 pcs)*
- Eye Test Certificate
- Original valid home country license if applying for half course
*If you are using spectacles while driving, ensure your photos are with spectacles.
Once you pay the fee, your driving school will open an online file for your driving lessons. They will also give you a guidebook or CD for theory lessons. Some driving schools have their own mobile app for theory lessons.
Step 6: Theory lessons
Theory classes will be mainly about traffic laws in Qatar, traffic signs, driving ethics etc. Some schools offer these classes on a computer or tablet. You can also do mock tests with instant results to track your progress. Most driving schools offer theory classes for five days. In addition, some schools also offer simulator training that helps to improve steering balance and vehicle control.
Step 7: Theory test
Upon completion of theory lessons, you can take the theory test. Nowadays, theory tests are conducted online using the driving school’s computer. You have to answer at least 37 out of 40 questions correctly. The test is available in several languages.
Step 8: Practical lessons
Practical lessons will be one-to-one driving lessons with a driving instructor. Most driving schools offer male and female instructors as per your requirement. There might be a higher fee if you require a female instructor.
During practical lessons, you will drive on the main roads with an instructor and get used to all the driving techniques and skills required.
You will also be given lessons on parking. The two main tasks to master here are parking tests known as “L” and “P”.
Step 9: Road Test
Upon completion of road training, you will be given a date for the road test. The road test is done on a driving school car with three or four people in the car taking turns to drive. A Traffic Police Officer will be present in the car to evaluate your driving skills.
Step 10: Parking test
Once you pass the road test, you will be assigned a test date for the parking test. You must complete both the “L” and “P” tasks on the same day. “L” refers to perpendicular parking, and “P” refers to parallel parking. The tests are computerised, and you get the results instantly.
A driving licence is issued immediately after successfully passing the test.
Time Required to Complete Driving Course
On average will take approximately 90 to 110 days to complete the regular full course (Theory training & test + Waiting time + Practical training + Tests).
The regular half course will last approximately 65 to 90 days (Theory training & test + Waiting time + Practical training + Tests).
Please note that this time frame may vary from driving school to driving school, as some schools may have longer waiting periods.
Driving Test Procedure in Qatar
You have to pay a nominal fee and register for the test. Driving tests usually consist of the following modules on different days:
- Theory Test (for road and traffic signs)
- Road Test
- Parking Test (L and P)
Each of these tests is a prerequisite to entering the next one. But, if you have passed one, you need not repeat it. If you fail one part of the test, you will not proceed to the next test stage.
If you fail the test, you can retake it within a specified time frame without additional charge. Parts of the test successfully passed previously do not have to be retaken.
As per the Traffic Department’s announcement, effective March 2016, Full Course and Half Course will have two chances of Road Test. Signal and Parking Tests will be unlimited, but if failed, the applicant has to pay QR 50 test fee to book another date.
You may be asked to join another course if you cannot pass after two attempts.
Here is a short video from Doha Driving Academy on how to get a driving license:
Qatar Driving License Fees
Below are the fees for issuing Qatar Driving License. The course fee and test fee will be in addition to this.
|Type of License||Amount||Validity|
|Qatari Citizen (Light Vehicle)||QR 500||10 Years|
|Expatriate Resident (Light Vehicle)||QR 250||5 Years|
|Qatari Citizen (Heavy Vehicle)||QR 600||10 Years|
|Expatriate Resident (Heavy Vehicle)||QR 300||5 Years|
|Qatari Citizen (Motorcycle)||QR 300||10 Years|
|Expatriate Resident (Motorcycle)||QR 150||5 Years|
|Driver’s learning license (all vehicles)||QR 150||3 months|
|Permit for driving taxi vehicles, limousine |
and public transport vehicles
All transactions at the Traffic Department must be paid for using a credit/debit card.
Automatic or Manual Transmission Vehicles
For light vehicles, manual or automatic transmission vehicles are available at all driving schools. If you pass your test in an automatic car, you can only legally drive automatic cars. If you pass in a manual car, you can drive both manual and automatic cars.
How To Exchange / Transfer A Foreign License in Qatar
Driving licenses from some countries (mainly western countries) are eligible for direct exchange. Please check with any driving school to know if your driving license is eligible for direct exchange. Please note that only expatriates with valid Residence Permits can apply for this.
If you have a driving license from any GCC country (Bahrain, Kuwait, Oman, Saudi Arabia or UAE), you can take a direct test without attending the training course. To get a test date, you must contact any driving school and pay the necessary fee.
Here is our guide on how to take the direct test with a GCC driving license.
Recent Changes To Qatar Driving License System
The Traffic Department has introduced several changes to the driving license system in recent years. Here are some changes that you need to know :
1. Unified driving curriculum: The Traffic Department has introduced a unified driving curriculum for all driving schools.
2. Unified contract for all driving schools: All driving schools in the country have adopted a unified contract that clearly outlines their obligations to the trainees. Driving schools are banned from imposing additional fees on trainees other than what has been specified in the unified contract. The contract forces the school to refund the balance amount, per the contract’s provisions, in case the trainee discontinues the course.
3. Guardian can accompany female driving trainee: In case the trainer is a male, a female trainee may demand the company of a male guardian.
4. 18 languages: The unified curriculum is now available in more than 18 languages commonly used in Qatar instead of the earlier ten languages.
5. Road test after passing theory test only: No trainee will be allowed to take a road test unless he passes the theory test based on information provided in the new curriculum.
6. You need to know the basics of automobiles: In addition to driving skills and traffic laws, the syllabus addresses issues such as how to check the safety of a vehicle, lights, engine, engine oil and the pressure of tyres.
7. No more short courses: Short courses have been abolished, and new learners must take either the half or full course.
8. No more exceptions for Saudi and Kuwait license holders: The provision of granting a driving licence to those holding licences issued by Saudi Arabia and Kuwait have been discontinued in Qatar. They are now required to enrol in driving schools and take the tests.
READ NEXT: List of Driving Schools in Qatar With Course Fees
FAQ on How To Get Qatar Driving License
Can I practise driving using my own car?
No, as per the Qatar traffic rule, you can practise only on an authorised vehicle owned by a driving school.
Is it easy to get a driving license in Qatar?
It would depend on your confidence and driving skills. The testing standards are set high, and you must be proficient to pass the road test.
Can I exchange my driving license for a Qatar driving license?
Only licenses from very few countries are allowed for direct exchange. For others, you must take a direct test or join a driving course.
- Professions Not Eligible For Driving License in Qatar
- Driving in Qatar: Rules for Visitors and Residents
- How to Get an International Driving License from Qatar
- Qatar Driving License Renewal Online
- Fahes Vehicle Inspection: Complete Guides
- List of Qatar Traffic Violation Fines And Black Points
Copyright © DohaGuides.com – Full or partial reproduction of this article in any language is prohibited.
343 thoughts on “Qatar Driving License Procedure (With New Rules for 2023)”
Hey, is it possible to take driving test when you know how to drive, knows L & P Parking, and knows all traffic rules. Can we go to a driving school and ask for just a theory and practical test. Meaning, we are not taking lessons in school we already know how to drive (learned on our own and had no license before). Can we do that?
Hi xyz, If you have a driving license from another country, you may be eligible for a direct test (eg. GCC countries), or a reduced training course. If you have license, please check with a driving school.
hi dear manuel,
i had lisence from Brunei Darussalam so can i exchange it directly.?
Hi Champike, You cannot exchange directly. You need to attend a driving course, but may be eligible for a shorter duration course. Please check with a driving school.
how many days to wait register to academy my driving lisence,they already print the card of my lisence but still not apply to my metrash
Hi Manuel, Please check this with your driving school.
Please please , guide me , my profession on my QID is Mantinance Technician. I have also UAE Light vehicle driver license. Can get Qatar Light vehicle Driving license.
Hi Waseem, You are eligible to apply for a direct test. Please contact a driving school.
HI SIR MY VISA DRIVER CAN I APPLY AN DRIVER LISENSE
Hi Rolly, Yes you can.
Hi I have ksa licence but expires can I get direct driving test
Hi Haseebullah, Sometimes they allow. Please check directly with a driving school.
Hi Mohd i have a htv vehcle what con i do this procssed ksa HTV licens
Hi, If you have KSA license, you can get a direct test. Please contact a driving school.
I have a driving license from Pakistan, Can i go for the exchange or direct test?
Hi Muhammad, With a Pakistani license you can only reduce the number of classes. You can select a half course instead of the full course. There is no direct test or exchange for a Pakistani license.
If uae license expired can possible to take Qatari license without test
Hi Alam, Even with a valid UAE license you need to take the tests. However, you can take tests without attending classes. There is no direct change option for any GCC country,
Hi! I have a valid Philippine Drivers License. Can I avail the half course?
Hi Vincent, Yes, you can.
i have phillipine lisence?can i avail for half course
Yes, Please contact any driving school.
I have a driving license from Iran, can I go for the exchange or direct test?
Hi Mohammad, No, you need to attend a course.
Hi, is it possible to convert Canadian driving license? thanks
Hi Amro, It was possible to convert earlier; not sure if it is still possible. You need to check with the Traffic Department or any driving school.
Hi i jave a heavy Bus License, I’m i eligible for light license automatically without classes after driving Heavy Bus for 6 years in qatar?
Hi Duncan, Please check with a driving school.
Hi I have india license I live in qatar 3years so I want to apply qatar license can I apply for direct test
Hi Mohammed, With an Indian license, you cannot take the direct test. You will get a discount on the course duration. You will need only half a course (not a full course).
Hi i have a light vehicle license in Saudi Arabia. can I convert to qatar license ? What can I do this processed ?
Please let me know
Hi Arun, You can’t convert it, but you can get a direct test. Please check the procedure here: https://www.dohaguides.com/change-gcc-driving-license-to-qatar/
I passed my theory test now I’m asking for regular classes they said come back after 2months to get schedule.. I mean is it logical? Learner Driving licence have validity Only for 3month so It’s expire whats gonna happen?
Hi Mohammad, Nowadays, there is a long wait to get test dates. So even if you take classes now you won’t get a test date soon. The learner’s license can be renewed after 3 months. You don’t have to attend the theory test again.
Hi,I have light driving license of Qatar I want medium license what I do please tel me
Hi Jameel, You will need to give another test. Please contact a driving school.
Hi, good day, is the Philippines driver’s license is allowed to direct exchange? Or do I need to join the driving course?
Hi Ariane, You will need to join a driving course. Since you already have a driving license, you are eligible to take a half course (instead of a full course).
I have worked 5 years in KSA and has Driving License issued by Saudhi Arabia and that was currently expired. Kindly advise me the best way to get Qatar Driving license
Hi Vishnu, You may be eligible for a direct test. Check this: https://www.dohaguides.com/change-gcc-driving-license-to-qatar/
security guard can exchange UAE driving licence with Qatari driving licence or direct test ?
Hi Syed, Please check with a driving school.