Doha Guides Team regularly reviews this article to ensure the content is up-to-date and accurate. The last editorial review and update were on 02 February 2024.
With the Ministry of Interior (MOI) moving most of its services to be online, Qatar Driving License Renewal has become a simple process.
Gone are the days when you had to visit the Traffic Department and wait for your turn. Nowadays, you can easily renew your driving license in a few minutes using the Metrash2 mobile app.
This article explains the step-by-step instructions and answers frequently asked questions on the Qatar Driving License renewal process.
- Qatar Driving License Renewal Grace Period
- How To Renew Qatar Driving License
- Option 1: Qatar Driving License Renewal Online Via Metrash2
- Option 2: Qatar Driving License Renewal At Traffic Department
- Option 3: Qatar Driving License Renewal Online Via MOI Website
- Qatar Driving License Renewal Fee
- Qatar Driving License Validity
- How To Check Qatar Driving License Validity Online
- Important Points To Note
- FAQ on Qatar Driving License Renewal
Qatar Driving License Renewal Grace Period
According to Article 36 of Qatar Law No. 19 of 2007, the renewal of a Qatar Driving License shall be no later than thirty (30) days following the expiration date.
Driving mechanical vehicles on the road without renewing a driving license is prohibited.
Note that you can renew your Qatar Driving License up to six months before its expiry date. This means you do not have to wait till your license has expired.
How To Renew Qatar Driving License
The two most commonly used methods to renew Qatar Driving License are to either renew online using the Metrash2 mobile app or offline by visiting the Traffic Department.
There is another option to renew online using the e-services portal of the MOI website. However, this option requires you to have a smart card which is not very common among residents.
If you are renewing online you can opt for Qatar Post (QPost) delivery by paying an additional QR 20. By selecting QPost delivery you can get the renewed Driving License delivered to your home. Alternatively, you can also opt to personally pick up the Driving License from the Traffic Department which will save you QR 20.
Documents Required for Driving License Renewal
- If you are renewing online via the Metrash2 mobile app, you only need a credit/debit card for payment.
- If you are renewing directly at the Traffic Department, you would have to carry the old driving license as well as a credit/debit card.
- If you are renewing online via the MOI website, you would also need the smart card.
Option 1: Qatar Driving License Renewal Online Via Metrash2
Below are the steps to renew your Qatar Driving License using Metrash2 mobile application:
Step 1: Open the Metrash2 app on your mobile and log in
If you haven’t registered for Metrash2 see our comprehensive Metrash User Guide.
Step 2: Click on the “Traffic” icon
Step 3: Click on the “License Service” icon
Step 4: Click on the “Renew Driving License” icon
Step 5: Enter the QID number, Click Next
Step 6: Select the delivery method (QPost or Traffic Department), Click Next
Note that you will have to pay an additional QR 20 for QPost delivery.
Step 7: For QPost delivery, enter your home address, Click Next
You will have to enter the Zone number, Street number, Building number and Unit number.
Step 8: Complete online payment using a credit/debit card
After payment, you can opt to receive the receipt as a PDF file via email.
Step 9: QPost normally delivers your renewed Driving License within a week
NOTE: If you opt for collection from the Traffic Department, you have to visit the Traffic Department to collect the renewed License.
How To Track QPost Delivery Status
You can track the delivery status of your driving license using the following steps:
Step 1. Go to QPost Services on the MOI website (under MOI Services -> Inquiries)
Step 2. Click on QPost Requests Tracking
Step 3. Enter your QID number, and verification code and click “Search”
Now you can see the status of your driving license delivery. Usually driving licenses are delivered within a week.
Option 2: Qatar Driving License Renewal At Traffic Department
If you do not want to use an online service for Driving License renewal, the process is as below:
- Visit the Traffic Department office
- Take a token from the reception counter
- When your token number is displayed, go to the counter and present your old Driving License
- Pay the fee using a Credit/Debit card
- You will get the renewed Driving License within a few minutes
Option 3: Qatar Driving License Renewal Online Via MOI Website
Another option is to do the renewal online via the MOI website. Below are the steps for that:
- Log in with your smartcard to the e-services portal of MOI
- Click on “Traffic Services” and then “Driving Licenses”
- Click on “Driving License Renewal”
- Select whether to renew your driving license or that of another sponsored person
- View the driving license information
- Select the new driving license delivery option
- Pay the fees using a credit/debit card and print the receipt
As said earlier, this option requires you to have a smart card. If you do not have a smart card, we advise you to renew via Metrash2 (Option 1 above), which is more convenient.
Qatar Driving License Renewal Fee
The cost for Qatar Driving License renewal is as follows:
Qatar Driving License Validity
- For Qatari citizens, the Driving License validity is 10 years
- For expatriate residents, the Driving License validity is 5 years
How To Check Qatar Driving License Validity Online
You can check the validity of your Qatar Driving License online using the following steps:
Step 1: Go to the Ministry of Interior Website
Here is the link to the MOI website.
Step 2: Click on “Inquiries” under “MOI Services”
You can find MOI Services on the top menu bar. The inquiries button will be a drop-down under this.
Step 3: Click on the “Other Inquiries” button
You can find this button on the left-side menu.
Step 4: Click on “Official Documents”
Step 5: Enter your QID number and verification code
Step 6: Click the “Search” button
Now you can see all details such as ID Card Expiry Date, Passport Expiry Date and Driving License Expiry Date.
Important Points To Note
Please be warned that driving without a valid driver’s licence issued by the concerned authorities in Qatar can attract severe penalties such as a hefty fine or imprisonment.
No person is allowed to drive a motor vehicle on the road in Qatar unless he is the holder of a valid driving license endorsed in respect of that class of vehicle.
Any person driving a motor vehicle on the road is required by law to carry his driving license or provisional license and on being so required by a police officer, produce it for examination.
Motorists can also apply for a new licence to replace the damaged one through Metrash 2 using the same procedures.
READ NEXT: Complete Guide To Fahes Vehicle Inspection
FAQ on Qatar Driving License Renewal
How can I renew my Qatar Driving License?
You can renew your Qatar Driving License online using the Metrash2 mobile app or the Ministry of Interior Website. You may also renew directly by visiting the Traffic Department office.
How many months in advance can I renew my Qatar Driving License?
You can renew your Driving License up to six months before the expiry of your current license.
What is the cost for the renewal of a Qatar Driving License?
The renewal fee is QR 500 for Qatari citizens (10 years) and QR 250 for expatriate residents (5 years). In addition, there would be QR 20 delivery fees if you opt for QPost delivery.
How long is Qatar Driving License valid?
Qatar Driving License is valid for 10 years for Qatari citizens and 5 years for expatriate residents.
What to do if my Qatar Driving License is lost or damaged?
If your Qatar Driving License is lost or damaged, you can apply for replacement via the Metrash2 mobile app or directly at Traffic Department. The process is similar to driving license renewal.
- How to Check, Report and Appeal Traffic Violations in Qatar
- Car Accident in Qatar: Police Report and Insurance Process
- 13 Traffic Violations in Qatar That Can Land You in Jail
- How To Get Qatar Driving License
- Professions Not Eligible For Qatar Driving License
- List of Driving Schools With Course Fees
- Driving in Qatar: Rules for Visitors and Residents
- List of Traffic Violation Fines in Qatar
Copyright © DohaGuides.com – Full or partial reproduction of this article in any language is prohibited.