With the Ministry of Interior (MOI) moving most of its services to be online, Qatar Driving License Renewal has become a simple process.
Gone are the days when you had to visit the Traffic Department and wait for your turn. Nowadays you can easily renew your driving license in a few minutes using Metrash2 mobile app.
This article explains the step-by-step instructions and answers frequently asked questions on Qatar Driving License renewal process.
- How To Renew Qatar Driving License
- Documents Required for Driving License Renewal
- Option 1: Qatar Driving License Renewal Online Via Metrash2
- Option 2: Qatar Driving License Renewal At Traffic Department
- Option 3: Qatar Driving License Renewal Online Via MOI Website
- Qatar Driving License Renewal Fee
- Qatar Driving License Validity
- How To Check Qatar Driving License Validity Online
- Important Points To Note
- FAQ on Qatar Driving License Renewal
How To Renew Qatar Driving License
Two most commonly used methods to renew Qatar Driving License are to either renew online using Metrash2 mobile app or offline by visiting the Traffic Department.
There is another option to renew online using the e-services portal of the MOI website. However, this option requires you to have a smart card which is not very common among residents.
If you are renewing online you can opt for QPost delivery by paying additional QR 20. By selecting QPost delivery you can get the renewed Driving License delivered to your home. Alternatively, you can also opt to personally pick up the Driving License from the Traffic Department which will save you QR 20.
Documents Required for Driving License Renewal
If you are renewing online via Metrash2 mobile app, you only need the credit/debit card for payment.
If you are renewing directly at the Traffic Department, you would have to carry the old driving license as well as credit/debit card.
If you are renewing online via MOI website, you would also need the smart card.
Option 1: Qatar Driving License Renewal Online Via Metrash2
Below are the steps to renew Qatar Driving License using Metrash2 mobile application:
Step 1. Open Metrash2 app on your mobile and log in
If you haven’t registered for Metrash2 see our comprehensive Metrash2 User Guide.
Step 2. Click on the “Traffic” icon
Step 3. Click on “License Service” icon
Step 4. Click on “Renew Driving License” icon
Step 5. Enter QID number, Click Next
Step 6. Select the delivery method (QPost or Traffic Department), Click Next
Note that you will have to pay additional QR 20 for QPost delivery.
Step 7. For QPost delivery, enter your home address, Click Next
You will have to enter Zone number, Street number, Building number and Unit number.
Step 8. Complete online payment using a credit/debit card
After payment you can opt to receive the receipt as PDF file via email.
Step 9. QPost normally delivers your renewed Driving License within a week
NOTE: If you opt for collection from the Traffic Department, you have to visit the Traffic Department to collect the renewed License.
How To Track QPost Delivery Status
You can track the delivery status of your driving license using the following steps:
Step 1. Go to QPost Services on MOI website (under MOI Services -> Inquiries)
Step 2. Click on QPost Requests Tracking
Step 3. Enter your QID number, verification code and click “Search”
Now you can see the status of your driving license delivery. Usually driving licenses are delivered within a week.
Option 2: Qatar Driving License Renewal At Traffic Department
If you do not want to use online service for Driving License renewal, the process is as below:
- Visit the Traffic Department office.
- Take a token from the reception counter
- When your token number is displayed, go to the counter and present your old Driving License
- Pay the fee using Credit/Debit card
- You will get the renewed Driving License within a few minutes
Option 3: Qatar Driving License Renewal Online Via MOI Website
Another option is to do the renewal online via MOI website. Below are the steps for that:
- Log in with your smartcard to the e-services portal of MOI
- Click on “Traffic Services” and then “Driving Licenses”
- Click on “Driving License Renewal”
- Select whether to renew your driving license or that of another sponsored person
- View the driving license information
- Select the new driving license delivery option
- Pay the fees using a credit/debit card and print receipt
As said earlier, this option requires you to have a smart card. If you do not have a smart card, we advise you to renew via Metrash2 (Option 1 above) which is more convenient.
Qatar Driving License Renewal Fee
The cost for Qatar Driving License renewal is as follows:
|Qatari Citizens||10 years||QR 500||QR 20|
|Expatriate Residents||5 years||QR 250||QR 20|
Qatar Driving License Validity
- For Qatari citizens, the Driving License validity is 10 years
- For expatriate residents, the Driving License validity is 5 years
How To Check Qatar Driving License Validity Online
You can check the validity of your Qatar Driving License online using the following steps:
Step 1. Go to “Other Inquiries” page on MOI website (under MOI Services -> Inquiries)
Step 2. Click on “Official Documents”
Step 3. Enter your QID number, verification code and click “Search”
Now you can see all details such as ID Card Expiry Date, Passport Expiry Date and Driving License Expiry Date.
Important Points To Note
A Qatar Driving License may be renewed only within six months ahead of or upon its expiry date.
Please be warned that driving without a valid driver’s licence issued by the concerned authorities in Qatar can attract severe penalties such as hefty fine or imprisonment.
No person is allowed to drive a motor vehicle on road in Qatar unless he is the holder of a valid driving license endorsed in respect of that class of vehicle.
Any person driving a motor vehicle on a road is required by law carry his driving license or provisional license, and on being so required by a police officer, produce it for examination.
Motorists can also apply for a new licence to replace the damaged one through Metrash 2 using the same procedures.
Copyright © DohaGuides.com – Full or partial reproduction of this article is prohibited.
FAQ on Qatar Driving License Renewal
How can I renew my Qatar Driving License?
You can renew Qatar Driving License online using Metrash2 mobile app or Ministry of Interior Website. You may also renew directly by visiting Traffic Department office.
How many months in advance can I renew my Qatar Driving License?
You can renew your Driving License up to six months before expiry of your current License.
What is the cost for the renewal of Qatar Driving License?
The renewal fee is QR 500 for Qatari citizens (10 years) and QR 250 for expatriate residents (5 years). In addition, there would be QR 20 delivery fees if you opt for QPost delivery.
How long is Qatar Driving License valid?
Qatar Driving License is valid 10 years for Qatari citizens and 5 years for expatriate residents.
What to do if my Qatar Driving License is lost or damaged?
If your Qatar Driving License in lost or damaged you can apply for replacement via Metrash2 mobile app or directly at Traffic Department. The process is similar to Driving License renewal.
- How to Check, Report and Appeal Traffic Violations in Qatar
- Car Accident in Qatar: Police Report and Insurance Process
- 13 Traffic Violations in Qatar That Can Land You in Jail
- How To Get Qatar Driving License
- Professions Not Eligible For Qatar Driving License
- List of Driving Schools With Course Fees
- Driving in Qatar: Rules for Visitors and Residents