What is an International Driving License?
International Driving License, also known as International Driver’s Permit (IDP), is a document that allows an individual to drive a motor vehicle in more than 150 countries when accompanied by a valid full license from the country of issue.
It is also a United Nations-regulated travel document for your safety and ease of travel.
This article explains how Qatar residents and citizens can apply for an International Driving License in Qatar that would allow them to drive while visiting other countries.
- What is an International Driving License?
- Who Can Apply for International Driving License in Qatar
- Where To Apply for International Driving License in Qatar
- Requirements for International Driving License
- Procedure to Apply
- Other Things To Note
- Driving With an International Driving License in Qatar
- FAQ About International Driving License
An International Driving License is a document slightly larger than a standard passport. It is a multiple language translation of one’s existing driver’s license, complete with your photograph and other information.
Who Can Apply for International Driving License in Qatar
Anyone with a valid Qatar Driving License can now apply for an International Driving License in Qatar.
Where To Apply for International Driving License in Qatar
If you are a resident of Qatar, you can directly apply at Qatar Automobile and Touring Club. They are the authority to issue International Driving Permits and Carnet de passages (Trip Tickets) in Qatar.
Some travel agents, car rental companies and driving schools also provide the same service. Below are the contact details:
QATC Location and Timing
Qatar Automobile and Touring Club is located on C-Ring Road opposite Doha Petrol Station between the Gulf Cinema signal and Toyota signal. Here is the QATC Location Map on Google.
QATC Working Hours
|Saturday To Thursday||8.00 am to 12:30 pm & |
3:00 pm to 5:30 pm
Qatar Automobile And Touring Club Phone: 4432 8296
Driving Schools Offering International Driving Licenses
Travel Agents Offering International Driving License
Requirements for International Driving License
- Valid Qatari driving license
- Original passport (may be asked in some places)
- Two passport-size photographs
- QR 150 (Only cash accepted at QATC)
Procedure to Apply
The process is really simple and takes only five minutes. Go to any of the above offices and give your driver’s license, two passport-size photographs, and the fee (QR 150).
They would print your details onto an International Driving License, affix your photo and stamp it.
Other Things To Note
- In general, temporary and international licence holders are restricted to driving rental vehicles (rent-a-car) as insurance companies require drivers of privately-owned vehicles to hold a full licence.
- The list of valid countries is included in the license.
- The International Driving License usually is valid for one year from the issuing date.
- The International Driving License is valid only when presented with the original Qatar Driving License.
- Many countries require an International Driving License to drive legally. Fines for driving without an International Driving License can be quite costly. Make sure to check the destination country’s requirements before travelling.
Driving With an International Driving License in Qatar
Qatar has signed the United Nations convention that allows visitors with a valid International Driving Permit (IDP) / International Driving License to rent a car and drive in Qatar. Visitors are allowed to drive up to six months from the date of entry or the validity period of the license (whichever is earlier). Qatar residents cannot drive with an International Driving License inside the country.
All visitors who plan to drive must ensure they obtain an IDP in their home country or country of residence before travelling. It is not allowed to renew the license while the license holder is in Qatar.
The IDP holders are only allowed to drive vehicle categories licensed for them. International licence holders are normally restricted to driving rental vehicles (rent-a-car) only due to vehicle insurance restrictions.
The IDP proves that you hold a valid driver’s license in your country of residence. It will also help protect you and your family in the event of an accident and/or vehicle damage while driving abroad or the loss of legal identification such as a passport.
An International Driving License gives you peace of mind while exploring the world – even if you’re not planning to drive!
FAQ About International Driving License
Can I apply for an International Driving License with an overseas driving license?
No, if you are applying from Qatar, a valid Qatar driving license is required to apply.
Can I apply for the license with a Learner, Provisional or Restricted license?
No, A full and valid Qatar driving license is the only accepted license if you are applying from Qatar.
How long is the International Driving License valid?
International Driving License obtained from Qatar is normally valid for one year.
Can I apply for IDP if my Qatar driving license has been lost, suspended, cancelled or revoked?
No, you must carry a valid Qatar driving license in order to apply.
- How To Get Qatar Driving License
- Professions Not Eligible For Driving License in Qatar
- Fahes Vehicle Inspection: Complete Guide
- How to Check, Report and Appeal Traffic Violations in Qatar
- Qatar Traffic Signs And Their Meanings
- How To Renew Istimara Online in Qatar
Copyright © DohaGuides.com – Unauthorized reproduction of this article in any language is prohibited.