What is an International Driving License?
International Driving License/Permit is a document that allows an individual to drive a motor vehicle in more than 150 countries when accompanied by a valid full license from the country of issue.
The document is slightly larger than a standard passport and is essentially a multiple language translation of one’s own existing driver’s license, complete with photograph and other information.
This article explains how Qatar residents and citizens can apply for an International Driving License in Qatar that would allow them to drive while visiting other countries.
- What is an International Driving License?
- Where to apply for International Driving License in Qatar
- QATC Location and Timing
- Driving Schools Offering International Driving License
- Travel Agents Offering International Driving License
- Requirements for International Driving License
- Procedure to Apply
- Other Things To Note
- FAQ About International Driving License
Where to apply for International Driving License in Qatar
If you are a resident of Qatar, you can directly apply at Qatar Automobile and Touring Club. They are the authority to issue International Driving Permit and Carnet de passages (Trip Tickets) in Qatar.
Some travel agents, car rental companies and driving schools also provide the same service. Below are the conact details:
QATC Location and Timing
Qatar Automobile and Touring Club is located on C-Ring Road opposite to Doha Petrol Station between Gulf Cinema signal and Toyota signal. Here is the QATC Location Map on Google.
Phone : 4441 3265 / 4441 5718
QATC Working hours : Saturday to Thursday: 7 am to 1 pm & 3 pm to 6 pm, Friday: Closed.
Driving Schools Offering International Driving License
Travel Agents Offering International Driving License
Requirements for International Driving License
- Valid Qatari driving license
- Two passport-size photographs
- QR 150 (Only cash accepted at QATC)
Procedure to Apply
The process is really simple and takes only five minutes. Go to any of the above offices and give your driver’s license along with two passport size photographs and the fee (QR 150).
They would print your details on to an International Driving License, affix your photo and stamp it.
Other Things To Note
- In general, temporary and international licence holders are restricted to driving rental vehicles (Rent-a-car) as insurance companies require drivers of privately-owned vehicles to hold a full licence.
- The list of valid countries is included in the license.
- The International Driving License is normally valid for one year from the issuing date.
- The International Driving License is valid only when presented along with original Qatar Driving License.
FAQ About International Driving License
Can I apply for an International Driving License with an overseas driving license?
No, if you are applying from Qatar, a valid Qatar driving license is required to apply.
Can I apply for the license with a Learner, Provisional or Restricted license?
No, A full and valid Qatar driving license is the only accepted license if you are applying from Qatar.
How long is the International Driving License valid?
International Driving License obtained from Qatar is normally valid for one year.
Can I apply for IDP if my Qatar driving license has been lost, suspended, cancelled or revoked?
No, you must carry a valid Qatar driving license in order to apply.