In August 2017, the State of Qatar made a landmark announcement that it will allow visa-free entry for citizens of more than 80 countries, with immediate effect, making it the most open country in the Middle East.
This article explains all the requirements, eligible nationalities, application procedures, renewal procedures and answers to frequently asked questions about the free visa on arrival in Qatar.
Current Status of Visa on Arrival To Qatar
Visa on arrival service to Qatar has been resumed after it was suspended in 2020 at the outset of COVID-19. Currently, citizens of 90+ countries are eligible for Free Qatar Visa On Arrival.
As per the latest rules, only eligible travellers who have taken the vaccines approved by Qatar’s Ministry of Public Health will be extended visa waivers upon arrival.
They should also meet other eligibility conditions like citizenship, 6 months valid passport, return air tickets, hotel booking and credit/debit cards (for some nationalities). They should also get pre-travel approval by applying on the Ehteraz website.
30 APRIL 2022 UPDATE: Qatar has announced an exemption from online registration for GCC nationals, GCC residents, EU nationals and EU residents, who meet the immunity criteria, for entry into the country. As per the Ehteraz website, GCC/EU nationals and GCC/EU residents who meet the immunity criteria as per COVID health apps (mentioned below) shall be honored and accepted in Qatar and shall be exempted from online registration.
The accepted health apps are:
|United Arab Emirates||Al Hosn|
Exempted travellers are required to proceed to any authorized private clinics for Rapid Antigen Test within 24hours of their arrival in Qatar.
15 APRIL 2022 UPDATE: It is now mandatory for Indian, Pakistani and Iranian nationals to book their hotel (for the full duration of stay) through the Discover Qatar website. Even though it was temporarily removed after the initial announcement, the booking page is now back on the Discover Qatar website. Travellers from these countries who applied for Ehteraz approval with normal booking are being asked to reapply with the Discover Qatar booking.
NOTE: This is only mandatory for travellers coming on visa on arrival, and not for family visit visas.
10 MARCH 2022 UPDATE: As per the new reports from various airlines, a visitor coming using a visa on arrival facility should have a valid international credit card or international debit card. Cash of QR 5000 will not be accepted.
– For debit cardholders, three months bank statement is also required. There should be a minimum balance equivalent to at least QR 5000.
– The card should be under the name of the visitor. If you are travelling as a family, the card can be under the name of the family head.
– The card image, as well as the bank statement, should be uploaded when applying for Ehteraz pre-registration.
– This rule is applicable only for nationalities that require proof of fund (like India, Pakistan etc.)
02 DECEMBER 2021 UPDATE: As per the new update, visitors should register for Ehteraz pre-travel approval at least 3 days before arrival. RT-PCR test result is no longer required during the Ehteraz pre-registration process. Instead, travellers must present the original copy of the PCR test result to the airlines in order to allow them to board the plane, or at the country’s ports.
09 NOVEMBER 2021 UPDATE: There are some messages being forwarded that says that Indian nationals cannot extend visa on arrival beyond 30 days after 11 November. Please note that this was an announcement made in November 2018 and is not valid anymore. As of November 2021, Indian nationals can extend visas on arrival for 30 more days (A total of 60 days stay in Qatar is allowed). The extension can be done any time within the first 30 days. The process is explained below. (www.dohaguides.com)
Qatar has announced a new travel and quarantine policy which has come into force on 16 March 2022. This article has been updated with the new requirements.
- Current Status of Visa on Arrival To Qatar
- Requirements for Visa On Arrival to Qatar
- Procedure to apply for Visa On Arrival to Qatar
- Which all nationalities can avail Qatar Visa On Arrival?
- Vaccines Approved by Qatar MOPH
- Travel Policy For Children
- Quarantine Requirement For Visa On Arrival
- Documents Checklist For Visa On Arrival Passengers
- Frequently Asked Questions
- What is the procedure at the immigration counter?
- How to extend Qatar Visa On Arrival?
- FAQ on Qatar Visa on Arrival
Requirements for Visa On Arrival to Qatar
- The passenger must be a citizen of an eligible country (country list given below)
- The passenger’s passport must be valid for at least 6 months
- The passenger must be fully vaccinated with a vaccine approved by Qatar MOPH and 14 days have passed
- The passenger must have a negative result for the RT-PCR test done within 48 hours of departure
- The passenger must have a travel approval received via Ehteraz pre-arrival registration
- The passenger must have a confirmed return or onward ticket
- The passenger must have a hotel booking for the entire duration of stay*
- Proof of fund / credit card* may be required for some nationalities like India, Pakistan etc.**
*Indian, Pakistani and Iranian citizens are required to book their hotels only using Discover Qatar website. Normal hotel booking is not accepted from 14 April 2022.
**Please carry an International Credit / Debit card under your name with at least QAR 5000 balance. You also need a bank statement from the last three months to prove that the balance is equivalent to QAR 5000. Cash will not be accepted.
Procedure to apply for Visa On Arrival to Qatar
According to the latest travel policy (From 12 July 2021), all visitors should get pre-travel approval by registering on the Ehteraz website. Travellers who meet the above requirements should upload their documents at least 3 days before arrival in Qatar.
Visitors without pre-travel approval will not be allowed to travel to Qatar. Travellers have to upload the scanned copies of the following documents:
- Return / onwards flight tickets
- Vaccination Certificate
- Hotel Booking
- International Credit Card or International Debit Card with 3 months’ bank statement (for some nationalities)
Check our detailed guide on how to do Ehteraz Pre-Travel Registration online
Note: If you are applying for a visa on arrival, you can leave the “Visa Number” column on the Ehteraz application as blank.
You will be notified as soon as your travel permit is approved. Download, print and keep the travel permit handy during your travel.
All visitors must sign an Undertaking and Acknowledgement Form before arriving in Qatar. The form is available on the Ministry of Public Health website, pre-registration platform website (www.ehteraz.gov.qa) and airline online booking form.
Which all nationalities can avail Qatar Visa On Arrival?
The countries under this facility are divided into two categories as below:
Category 1: Visa waiver for 180 days
- Visa waiver valid for 180 days from date of entry
- Maximum stay: A total of 90 days either during a single trip or during multiple trips
- The stay is not extendable
- Multiple-entries are possible during this period
The following are the countries included under this category:
- Antigua and Barbuda
- Czech Republic
- Dominican Republic
Category 2: Visa for 30 days (+30 days extension)
- Initial visa is for 30 days from date of entry
- The stay can be extended for another 30 days free of cost
- Multiple-entries are possible during this period
The following are the nations included under this:
- Costa Rica
- Falkland Islands
- French Guiana
- Hong Kong, China
- New Zealand
- Pakistan (more conditions apply)
- San Marino
- South Africa
- South Korea
- United Kingdom
- United States
- Vatican City
In addition to this, nationals of the Gulf Cooperation Council countries (Bahrain, Kuwait, Oman, Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates) do not require a visa to enter Qatar.
Vaccines Approved by Qatar MOPH
Adult visitors must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 with one of the following vaccines:
- Pfizer BioNTech (two doses)
- Moderna (two doses)
- AstraZeneca/Covishield (two doses)
- Janssen/Johnson & Johson (one dose)
Conditionally approved vaccines: **
- Sputnik V
** Serology Antibody test with a positive result is mandatory before travelling to Qatar for people with two doses of conditionally approved vaccines and 14 days after the second dose, in which case only the traveller will be considered fully immune. The validity of this test is 30 days.
People who have received two doses of a conditionally approved vaccine followed by one dose of Pfizer or Moderna vaccine and after 14 days from the last dose will be considered fully immune.
14 days must have passed since the completion of the vaccination. Unvaccinated adults are currently not able to visit Qatar.
Passengers who have taken one of the recognized vaccines outside Qatar must submit the original vaccination certificate, which shall include the following information:
- The name of the passenger (must match the passport)
- Dose dates according to the type of the vaccine
- Type/name of the vaccine
- Serial number of the vaccine batch (if any)
Travel Policy For Children
Quarantine policy for unvaccinated children will be similar to accompanying vaccinated parents.
2 DECEMBER 2021 UPDATE: Unvaccinated children aged 11 years and below, accompanied by one or both of their parents/family members who are fully vaccinated, can also get a visa on arrival (even from Red Health Measure Countries). However, children above 12 should be vaccinated to receive visas on arrival.
An Ehteraz travel permit is required for all visitors (irrespective of age) and must be applied for at least 3 days before travelling.
Quarantine Requirement For Visa On Arrival
|Vaccinated Visitors From Standard Health Measures countries||No Quarantine|
|Vaccinated Visitors From Red Health Measure countries||Hotel quarantine for 1 day|
|Unvaccinated Visitors||No entry|
All categories must submit a negative pre-travel PCR lab result obtained no more than 48 hours before the time of departure from the country of origin. For visitors from Red Health Measure countries, a Rapid Antigen Test is required on day 1 of hotel quarantine.
Documents Checklist For Visa On Arrival Passengers
- Return / onwards flight tickets
- Vaccination Certificate ***
- Ehteraz Approval
- Negative RT-PCR Report
- Serology antibody test results (for conditional vaccines)***
- Hotel Booking for quarantine through Discover Qatar (one day quarantine if from Red Health Measure country)
- Hotel Booking for the duration of stay (for 29 days if return ticket is after 29 days)
- Acknowledgment & Undertaking Form (Filled and signed)
- Ehteraz mobile app (installed on phone)
- International debit card/credit card under visitor’s name (3 months bank statements also needed for debit card). Cash is not acceptable nowadays.
Although Qatar authorities do not ask for travel/health insurance for issuing a visa on arrival, some airlines are asking for insurance during check-in. Please confirm with your airline if this is a requirement. Note that insurance is an official requirement for a family visit visa.
*** Serology Antibody test with a positive result is needed if you have taken a “conditionally approved” vaccine (Sinopharm, Sinovac, Sputnik V or Covaxin).
Frequently Asked Questions
Is there any fee for the Qatar Visa on Arrival?
This type of visa based on your nationality is granted completely FREE of charge and there is no charge for extension/renewal.
Should I use only Qatar Airways for my travel?
You can use any airline to Doha. There are no restrictions on the mode of travel.
TIP: If you are travelling via another airline, make sure your airline knows about this Visa On Arrival facility. Some airline staff who are unaware of this facility may refuse to board you without a visa.
Should I show proof of funds / credit cards?
Proof of funds may be required for some nationalities. Please carry an International Credit / Debit card under your name with at least QAR 5000 balance.
Should I show the salary certificate or tenancy contract of my host?
Host’s salary certificate or tenancy contract is not required for visa on arrival. There is no minimum salary requirement for anyone to host a visitor. However, it is advised that you keep your host’s contact information ready to show if requested by officers.
Is there a special counter at the airport?
There would be a special line for visitors with travel permits. The details would be mentioned in your travel permit or you would be directed by airport staff.
What is the procedure at the immigration counter?
- At the departure airport show your Ehteraz travel permit to the airline check-in agent. Please note that without a valid permit the airline will deny boarding.
- Download the Ehteraz app prior to your departure and activate the Ehteraz mobile application on arrival at the airport. Activation of the app can be done using Qatari or international SIM card.
- At the immigration counter in Doha, show your travel permit and if asked about your visa mention that you have approval for visa on arrival.
- Show the Vaccination Certificate, RT-PCR, Hotel Booking and Flight Ticket.
- Give the hotel’s / host’s contact details (name, contact number) if you are asked.
- Show credit or debit card if required (for some nationalities only)
- Look at the camera for iris scan (eye-scan) when asked. A green light would blink to confirm this.
- A finger prints scan may be required for some passengers.
- The immigration officer would fix a small sticker to your passport. That’s it, welcome to Doha!
How to extend Qatar Visa On Arrival?
If you are a citizen of a country eligible to extend 30 days visa on arrival, you can do the renewal online.
Step 1: Go to Visit Visa Extension Service page on the MOI website
This is available under Visa Services –> Visit Visa Extension.
Step 2: Enter the visa number or passport number
You can find the visa number on the sticker in your passport.
Step 3: Select nationality from the drop-down list
Step 4: Enter verification code from the picture or audio
Step 5: Click on “Extend” button
The visa will be renewed for another 30 days
How many days after arrival can I renew the visa?
You can renew any day after arrival. Make sure you do it before the expiry to avoid complications.
I did not get any message or e-mail after renewal. How can I check the validity?
To check the validity, on the Ministry of Interior website, go to Visa Inquiry & Printing page (Visa Services –> Visa Inquiry & Printing). Here is the link to check the validity of a Qatar visa on arrival.
- Enter the visa number (available on the sticker in passport) or passport number
- Select nationality from the drop-down list
- Enter verification code from picture or audio
- Click on the “Submit” button
- The details including visa validity will be shown
- Click on the print icon to save or print a copy for future reference
Do I need the renewal receipt while going back?
A receipt is not needed as the renewal date will be updated in the immigration system. However, you may keep a copy for your peace of mind.
Are other GCC residents eligible to get Qatar visa on arrival?
If you’re a resident of a GCC country (Gulf Cooperation Council) then you’re eligible for a single-entry visa on arrival. The visa will only be issued if your residence permit is valid for at least six months and if your profession (as mentioned on your residence permit) appears on the list of eligible professions. You can see the list of eligible professions here.
- Passport must be valid for at least 6 months
- Return ticket must be confirmed
- Hotel booking confirmation for the duration of the stay must be presented (through Discover Qatar)
- The passenger must have a valid credit card
- Those coming directly from Pakistan should present a certificate of vaccination against polio
- Must be fully vaccinated with vaccines approved by the Ministry of Public Health and have completed a period of 14 days after the last dose
- Must have a certificate confirming negative PCR test completed within 48 hours from the time of departure
13 MARCH 2022 UPDATE: There are several reports that Pakistani nationals who recently tried to extend their visa beyond 30 days were unsuccesful. However, there is no official announcement about this.
We have tried to cover most of the frequently asked questions. If you have any further queries feel free to ask in the comments sections and we shall try to answer them.
As the policies are subject to change at any time, travellers are strongly advised to check the official website of MOPH for the latest travel and quarantine policy.
READ NEXT: How To Do Ehteraz Pre-Travel Registration
Copyright © DohaGuides.com – Full or partial reproduction of this article in any language is prohibited.
FAQ on Qatar Visa on Arrival
How can I get a free visa for Qatar?
You can get visa-free entry to Qatar if you are fully vaccinated and hold a passport from any of the 90+ eligible countries. You can see the full list of countries on this page.
Is there any age limit on visa on arrival?
There is no specified age limit for visas on arrival. However, airlines may refuse to board minors not accompanied by an adult. If a minor is travelling alone, please check with your airline.
Is a medical check-up needed for extending visa-free entry
A medical check-up is not needed for extending visa-free entry. A medical check would be required for renewing a family visit visa only.
Are Indians eligible for a Qatar visa on arrival?
Indian citizens are eligible for 30 days of visa-free entry to Qatar if they meet some conditions. Upon arrival, this can be extended for another 30 days.
How much is the fine for an expired visit visa in Qatar?
If the validity of your visit visa has expired, you will be charged a penalty of QAR 200 per day.
You May Also Like:
- Qatar 2022 FIFA World Cup Ticket Prices and How To Apply
- How To Do Ehteraz Pre-Travel Registration
- How To Print Covid Vaccine Certifcate in Qatar
- Qatar Family Visit Visa Application Guide
- Qatar Family Residence Visa Procedure
- How To Change Passport Number in Qatar ID