Doha Guides Team regularly reviews this article to ensure the content is up-to-date and accurate. The last editorial review and update were on 26 October 2022.
Since August 2017, the State of Qatar has been allowing visa-free entry for citizens of more than 80 countries, making it the most open country in the Middle East.
After it was briefly suspended in 2020 due to COVID-19, Qatar’s visa-on-arrival service has resumed with some conditions. As of August 2022, citizens of 90+ countries are eligible for Free Qatar Visa On Arrival.
This article explains all the requirements, eligible nationalities, application procedures, renewal procedures, and answers to frequently asked questions about the free visa on arrival in Qatar.
- Status of Qatar Visa On Arrival For India, Pakistan, Iran
- Recent Updates
- Requirements for Visa On Arrival to Qatar
- Procedure to apply for Visa On Arrival to Qatar
- Nationalities Eligible For Qatar Visa On Arrival
- Travel Policy For Children
- Documents Checklist For Visa On Arrival Passengers
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Procedure At the Immigration Counter
- How to Extend Qatar Visa On Arrival?
- Qatar Visa On Arrival Requirements For Indians
- Additional Requirements for Pakistani National
- FAQ on Qatar Visa on Arrival
Status of Qatar Visa On Arrival For India, Pakistan, Iran
02 OCTOBER 2022 UPDATE: Discover Qatar has stopped accepting bookings for Visa On Arrival Hotels (India, Pakistan and Iran), with the last check-in being on 15 September. According to the Discover Qatar website, Visa On Arrival accommodation is available again for check-ins from 23 December 2022.
“This may change, and Discover Qatar will follow policy as mandated by the Ministry of the Interior for the State of Qatar,” the message on the Discover Qatar website says.
However, according to the Ehteraz team, Discover Qatar booking is still a requirement for a visa on arrival (from India, Pakistan and Iran). There is no official announcement on this subject.
If you are planning to travel on a Visa On Arrival during October, kindly confirm the requirements with the Ehteraz support centre (+974-4406 9999 or [email protected]). Also, note that a Hayya Card will be required for all visitors from 1 November 2022.
26 OCT 2022 UPDATE: As per the latest travel policy announced by Qatar’s Ministry of Public Health (MoPH), pre-travel and post-travel COVID testing and Ehteraz pre-registration are not required from 1 November. The Ehteraz mobile app is only required for entering public and private healthcare facilities.
21 SEPTEMBER 2022 UPDATE: From 1 November to 23 December 2022, visitors’ entry into the State of Qatar will be restricted to holders of Hayya Card only. Visit visa services will be suspended during this period. The following categories will be excluded from the Hayya Card requirement:
- Qatari citizens, residents and GCC citizens holding a Qatari ID card
- Holders of personal recruitment visas and work entry permits
- Humanitarian cases through the airport (based on the approval from the official application platform)
1 SEPTEMBER 2022 UPDATE: Qatar’s Ministry of Public Health (MoPH) has announced a new travel policy which will come into effect on Sunday, 4 September 2022, at 6 pm local time. This article has been updated to reflect these changes.
- Quarantine is no longer mandatory for all travellers arriving from abroad. However, if passenger tests positive for COVID-19 after arriving in Qatar, quarantine measures must be followed as stipulated by the State.
- Country classification based on COVID-19 risk (Red List and Standard Health List) is no longer applicable.
Requirements for Visa On Arrival to Qatar
The visitor must be a citizen of an eligible country (the list of countries is given below).
2. Passport Validity
The visitor’s passport must be valid for at least six months.
3. Confirmed Return Tickets
The visitor must have a confirmed return or onward ticket.
4. Hotel Reservation
The visitor should have a hotel reservation for the duration of the stay. This can be a regular hotel booking for travellers from most countries. However, for Indian, Pakistani, and Iranian citizens, the hotel booking for the entire duration of the stay should be through the Discover Qatar website (from 15 April 2022).
This requirement is only mandatory for travellers coming on a visa on arrival and not for family visit visas.
5. Ehteraz Pre-Travel Approval
The passenger must receive pre-travel approval after applying on the Ehteraz website (before three days of travel). Check out our detailed guide to Ehteraz pre-travel registration.
GCC nationals and residents shall be exempted from Ehteraz pr-travel registration.
6. COVID-19 Test
All visitors from age six (6) and above should have a negative RT-PCR test result obtained no more than 48 hours before departure or a Rapid Antigen Test (RAT) certificate obtained no more than 24 hours before departure. The test result need not be uploaded to the Ehteraz website but should be shown during check-in.
Minors aged 0-5 years are exempted from COVID testing.
7. Proof of Funds
From 10 March 2022, visitors from countries like India and Pakistan (using a visa on arrival facility) should have a valid international credit card or debit card. Cash of QR 5000 will no longer be accepted.
- For debit cardholders, three months bank statement is also required. There should be a minimum balance equivalent to at least QR 5,000.
- The card should be under the name of the visitor. The card can be under the family head’s name if you are travelling together as a family.
- The card image and the bank statement should be uploaded when applying for Ehteraz pre-registration.
- This rule applies only to nationalities that require proof of funds (like India, Pakistan, etc.)
Procedure to apply for Visa On Arrival to Qatar
All visitors (except GCC nationals and residents) should get pre-travel approval by registering on the Ehteraz website.
Travellers who meet the above requirements should upload their documents at least three days before arriving in Qatar. Visitors without pre-travel approval will not be allowed to travel to Qatar.
Travellers have to upload the scanned copies of the following documents:
- Return / onwards flight tickets
- Vaccination Certificate (if vaccinated)
- Hotel Booking (as required)
- International Credit Card or Debit Card with three months’ bank statement (for India, Pakistan)
RT-PCR / Rapid Antigen Test result is no longer required during the Ehteraz pre-registration process. Instead, travellers must present the original copy of the test result to the airlines to allow them to board the plane or at the country’s ports.
Check our detailed guide on how to do Ehteraz Pre-Travel Registration online
Note: If you are applying for a visa on arrival, you can leave the “Visa Number” column on the Ehteraz application blank.
You will be notified as soon as your travel permit is approved. Download, print, and keep the travel permit handy during your travel.
Nationalities Eligible For Qatar Visa On Arrival
The countries under this facility are divided into two categories as below:
Category 1: Visa waiver for 180 days
- Visa waiver valid for 180 days from date of entry
- Maximum stay: A total of 90 days, either during a single trip or during multiple trips
- The stay is not extendable
The following are the countries included under this category:
- Antigua and Barbuda
- Czech Republic
- Dominican Republic
Category 2: Visa for 30 days (+30 days extension)
- The initial visa is for 30 days from the date of entry
- The stay can be extended for another 30 days free of cost
The following are the nations included under this:
- Costa Rica
- Falkland Islands
- French Guiana
- Hong Kong, China
- New Zealand
- San Marino
- South Africa
- South Korea
- United Kingdom
- United States
- Vatican City
In addition to these, Citizens of the Gulf Cooperation Council countries (Bahrain, Kuwait, Oman, Saudi Arabia, and UAE) do not require a visa to enter Qatar.
Travel Policy For Children
An Ehteraz travel permit is required for all visitors (irrespective of age) and must be applied for at least three days before travelling. Children aged 0-5 are exempted from RT-PCR / Antigen testing.
Documents Checklist For Visa On Arrival Passengers
|Passport||Minimum six months validity|
|Flight tickets||Return / onwards flight tickets|
|Regular Hotel Booking for the full duration||Discover Qatar booking for India, Pakistan, and Iran; |
Regular hotel booking for other countries.
|Vaccination Certificate||If vaccinated|
|Ehteraz Approval||Except for GCC residents who are exempted|
|Negative RT-PCR / RAT Report||Before 48 hours of departure (24 hours in case of RAT)|
|Serology antibody test results||For conditional vaccines only|
|Ehteraz mobile app||Installed on phone|
|International debit / credit card||Only for India and Pakistan. Under visitor’s name (3 months bank statements also needed for debit card). Cash is not acceptable.|
Although Qatar authorities do not ask for travel/health insurance for issuing a visa on arrival, some airlines ask for insurance during check-in. Please confirm with your airline if this is a requirement. We highly recommend you have valid travel insurance as medical expenses for visitors can be very high in Qatar.
Note that insurance is an official requirement for a family visit visa.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is there any fee for the Qatar Visa on Arrival?
Visa on arrival is granted entirely FREE of charge, and there is no charge for extension/renewal.
Should I use only Qatar Airways for my travel?
You can use any airline to Doha. There are no restrictions on the mode of travel. If you are travelling via another airline, ensure your airline knows about this Visa On Arrival facility. Some airline staff who are unaware of this facility may refuse to board you without a visa.
Should I show proof of funds/credit cards?
Proof of funds may be required for some nationalities. Please carry an International Credit / Debit card under your name with at least QAR 5000 balance.
Should I show the salary certificate or tenancy contract of my host?
The host’s salary certificate or tenancy contract is not required for a visa on arrival. There is no minimum salary requirement for anyone to host a visitor. However, you are advised to keep your host’s contact information ready to show if officers request it.
Procedure At the Immigration Counter
- Show your Ehteraz travel permit to the airline check-in agent at the departure airport. Please note that without a valid permit, the airline will deny boarding.
- Download the Ehteraz app before your departure and activate the Ehteraz mobile application on arrival at the airport. The app can be activated using a Qatari or international SIM card.
- At the immigration counter in Doha, show your Ehteraz travel permit, and if asked about your visa, mention that you want a visa on arrival.
- Show the Test Result, Hotel Booking, Flight Ticket, and Vaccination Certificate (if vaccinated).
- Give the hotel’s / host’s contact details (name, contact number) if you are asked.
- Show credit or debit card if required (for some nationalities only)
- When asked, look at the camera for an iris scan (eye scan). A green light would blink to confirm this.
- A fingerprint scan may be required for some passengers.
- The immigration officer would fix a small sticker on your passport. That’s it. Welcome to Doha!
How to Extend Qatar Visa On Arrival?
If you are a citizen of a country eligible to extend 30 days visa on arrival, you can do the renewal online.
Step 1: Go to the Visit Visa Extension Service page on the MOI website
This is available under Visa Services –> Visit Visa Extension.
Step 2: Enter the visa number or passport number
You can find the visa number on the sticker in your passport.
Step 3: Select nationality from the drop-down list
Step 4: Enter the verification code from the picture or audio
Step 5: Click on the “Extend” button
The visa will be renewed for another 30 days
How many days after arrival can I renew the visa?
You can renew any day after arrival. Make sure you do it before the expiry to avoid complications.
I did not get any message or e-mail after renewal. How can I check the validity?
You can check the validity of your visa on the Ministry of Interior website. Here is how to check the validity of a Qatar visa.
- Go to the MOI website Visa Inquiry & Printing page
- Enter the visa number (available on the sticker in the passport) or passport number
- Select nationality from the drop-down list
- Enter verification code from picture or audio
- Click on the “Submit” button
- The details, including visa validity, will be shown
- Click on the print icon to save or print a copy for future reference
Do I need the renewal receipt while going back?
A receipt is not needed as the renewal date will be updated in the immigration system. However, you may keep a copy for your peace of mind.
Are GCC residents eligible to get a Qatar visa on arrival?
If you’re a resident of a GCC country (Gulf Cooperation Council), you’re eligible for a single-entry visa on arrival. The visa will only be issued if your residence permit is valid for at least six months and if your profession (as mentioned on your residence permit) appears on the list of eligible professions. You can see the list of eligible professions here.
Qatar Visa On Arrival Requirements For Indians
Following are the conditions for Indian nationals applying for a Qatar visa on arrival:
- The Indian passport must be valid for at least six months
- Return ticket must be confirmed
- Hotel booking for the entire period – booked through Discover Qatar (currently booking are suspended)
- Should have Ehteraz pre-approval
- The passenger must have a valid credit card/debit card with three months statement
- Must have a negative RT-PCR test completed within 48 hours from the time of departure or Rapid Antigen Test completed within 24 hours.
Additional Requirements for Pakistani National
Requirements for Pakistani nationals are the same as for Indian nationals. There is one additional requirement as below:
- Those coming directly from Pakistan should present a certificate of vaccination against polio
We have tried to cover most of the frequently asked questions. If you have any further queries feel free to ask in the comments sections, and we shall try to answer them.
As the policies are subject to change at any time, travellers are strongly advised to check the official website of MOPH for the latest travel policy. You can also call the Ehteraz helpline at +974-4406 9999 or [email protected] for more queries.
READ NEXT: How To Do Ehteraz Pre-Travel Registration
FAQ on Qatar Visa on Arrival
How can I get a free visa for Qatar?
You can get visa-free entry to Qatar if you hold a passport from any of the 90+ eligible countries. You can see the full list of countries on this page.
Is there any age limit on visas on arrival?
There is no specified age limit for visas on arrival. However, airlines may refuse to board minors not accompanied by an adult. If a minor is travelling alone, please check with your airline.
Is a medical check-up needed for extending visa-free entry
A medical check-up is not needed to extend visa-free entry. A medical check would be required for renewing a family visit visa only.
Are Indians eligible for a Qatar visa on arrival?
Indian citizens are eligible for 30 days of visa-free entry to Qatar if they meet some conditions. Upon arrival, this can be extended for another 30 days.
How much is the fine for an expired visit visa in Qatar?
If the validity of your visit visa has expired, you will be charged a penalty of QAR 200 per day.
- Qatar Family Visit Visa Application Guide
- Qatar Family Residence Visa Procedure
- How To Change Passport Number in Qatar ID
- Check Qatar Visa Status Online
- Drinking Alcohol in Qatar: Important Rules To Know
Copyright © DohaGuides.com – Full or partial reproduction of this article in any language is prohibited.