Hayya To Family Visa Changing Process via Abu Samra (2024)

Doha Guides Team regularly reviews this article to ensure the content is up-to-date and accurate. The last editorial review and update were on 03 February 2024.

Abu Samra Land Border is the entry and exit point for those travelling between Qatar and Saudi Arabia. Those who need to change their visa status from Hayya to RP or Visit Visa to Hayya can cross through this border and easily change their visa status without spending on air tickets. However, the process can be a bit confusing for those doing it the first time.

So here is a step-by-step guide to help you navigate the visa changing process via Abu Samra Land Border. We have also included the visa change process by Air Arabia.

UPDATE: Since October 2023, the restrictions for visitors to Saudi Arabia have been eased. Many Qatar residents were recently able to change their Qatar visa (from Hayya to Family RP) through the Abu Samra land border.

Option 1: Visa Change By Land Border

Below are the steps for changing visa by Saudi land border:

1. Visa For Saudi Arabia

Earlier it was possible to exit the Qatar land border and take a U-turn without entering the Saudi Arabia border. In this case, a Saudi visa was not required. However, this may not be possible now as Qatar border officials are asking for an exit stamp from the Saudi border.

In this situation, you will need to get a Saudi visa before exiting Qatar. GCC residents can get Saudi multi-entry visas by applying online. Here is our detailed guide on how Qatar residents can apply for Saudi visas online.

Some visitors have successfully received a Saudi visa by selecting the GCC resident option and uploading the relative’s (sponsor’s) Qatar ID in place of the visa. They have also entered Saudi through land border. However, we cannot confirm if this approach will work always.

Another option for visitors is to apply for a Saudi Tourist Visa through any travel agent or Tasheer Saudi Visa Center in Qatar. For more information on Saudi visas, you can contact the official helpline for Saudi Tourism in Qatar at 00800101091.

It is also important that the visitor has a Qatar Family Visa or Hayya Entry Permit approved and printed.

Once both Saudi and Qatar visas have been issued, you can proceed with your visa change trip as below:

2. Exit At Qatar Border

When you arrive at the Qatar border, everything will be done in your car. You don’t need to come out of your car.

  • Go to the immigration counter where they will put an exit stamp on your passport.
  • At the next counter, a car exit permit will be issued.
  • The last counter is for verification, and you need to keep all the papers that need to be handed over in this counter.

NOTE: In the case that the vehicle owner is not travelling, a Car Exit Permit is required. It can be obtained from the Metrash app on the car owner’s phone. In the Metrash app, select “Traffic”, then “Vehicle Service”, then “Car Exit Permit”, and fill out the required information. You will need to pay QR 10 for the service.

Visa Changing Process via Abu Samra Land Border

3. Entry At Saudi Border

Once you reach the Saudi border, go to the Fingerprint Building. You can follow the signage board to direct you to the fingerprint building. Building # 2 on the right is for ladies, and Building # 3 on the left is for gents. Children can accompany either parent.

If you are a lady who obtained a visa using your husband’s Qatar ID, keep a copy of the Qatar ID so that you can show it at the office.

For adults, fingerprints and photos will be taken. For children, only a photo will be taken.

You need to hand over your original passport for this process. After the fingerprint and photo, they will give you a paper that you have to show at the immigration counter.

Note that all first-time members have to undergo this procedure irrespective of age.

  • Once the fingerprint is done, go to the immigration lane by car. There, they will put a Saudi entry stamp.
  • Once immigration is cleared, go to customs where they will check your car.
  • After immigration verification, go to the counter where they will check the stamp on your passport and car entry permit slip.
  • After clearing all the counters, go to the insurance counter (uninsured car line). There, tell them that you came for a visa change, and you will take a U-turn and go back to Qatar. They will not ask you to take insurance.

4. Exit At Saudi Border

  • At counter one, they will give you a car entry permit.
  • At the second counter, they will put an exit stamp on your passport.
  • At the third counter, they will verify the exit stamp and take the car entry permit paper.

5. Entry At Qatar Border

  • At the first counter, they will give you a car entry permit.
  • The second counter is the immigration counter where you have to tell them that you need to enter with RP, not Hayya.
  • Then, they will check only the QID holder, and the remaining people have to go to the Biometric counter.
  • The Biometric counter is on the right side, and you have to get out of the car for this process. Parking is available.
  • Once the immigration process is completed, you will receive a Metrash entry message.
  • After immigration, go to customs where they will check your car and give you a customs paper. Keep this paper.
  • The last counter is the verification counter where they will collect the customs and car entry paper.

In conclusion, visa changing process via Abu Samra Land Border is a straightforward process if you follow these steps.

Remember to keep all your papers in order and be patient throughout the process. It is essential to have all the necessary documents and permits to avoid any complications during the visa-changing process.

Bonus Tip: Live Stream Camera

This is a live online streaming from a camera in the Saudi border area before immigration at Salwa. You can refer to this before going there to see if it’s crowded or not.

Option 2: Visa Change By Air Arabia

Visitors can change their visa type using an Air Arabia flight to Sharjah (without taking a UAE visa).

  • The process requires 3 hours of transit at Sharjah. Visitors will enter Sharjah airport and return by the next flight to Qatar.
  • The approximate cost is QR 800 to QR 1000 per adult. This can vary depending on the demand.
  • According to the Air Arabia website, passengers travelling for visa change purposes must visit the Air Arabia office or any of the partner travel agents to update their status in the booking. Passengers not meeting the condition will not be allowed to board the flight.
  • You will get a special ticket which mentions “for visa changing purposes”. You may be required to pay QR 2000 as a security deposit with the travel agent. You will get this amount back once the traveller is back in Qatar.
  • Book your Air Arabia tickets from the Air Arabia office or Air Arabia-authorized travel agent. Note that some travel agencies don’t have an agreement with Air Arabia.
Air Arabia Doha - Sharjah Flights
Air Arabia Doha – Sharjah Flights
  • As per the experience of recent travellers, it is better to book a 9:55 (Qatar Time) departing flight and return from Sharjah at 17:50 or 19:30 than 15:05 (UAE Time). This is because you may face issues at Qatar Immigration if your exit and re-entry are within a few hours.

Check Metrash Message

After you re-enter Qatar, make sure the sponsor gets a Metrash SMS like this: “An entry transaction to the country is registered for Visa Number: (3620230*****) FA*****”. If you don’t get this SMS that means the entry is marked on Hayya. Take extra care at Qatar Airport Immigration if the person has both Hayya and RP visas at the same time.

If coming by land border and you don’t receive a message, go to the Biometric and Visas Building, which is exactly on the right side. Explain your problem to the captain, and he will change the entry to RP. Only leave from there when you receive a message, or if you don’t receive a message, check the MOI website as the status should change from “VISA IS VALID TO USE” to “USED INSIDE COUNTRY.”

If anyone changed their visit visa to Hayya before, they didn’t have to take a biometric, and this is where the problem occurs.

NOTE: The guide has been prepared based on the experience of recent travellers. If you have anything to add or change, please comment below.

Special thanks to Mr. Faris Ahmed, Mr. Siraj and others for sharing these tips with us.

Related Articles:

  1. Hayya With Me: How To Bring Family On Hayya Visa
  2. Qatar Family Residence Visa: Requirements and Procedure
  3. Medical Test For Family Residence Visa
  4. Qatar Family Visit Visa: Requirements and Application Guide
  5. Procedure To Change Job in Qatar
  6. How To Transfer Wife To Husband Sponsorship

Copyright © DohaGuides.com – Full or partial reproduction of this article in any language is prohibited.

Share This With Someone Who Needs It

106 thoughts on “Hayya To Family Visa Changing Process via Abu Samra (2024)”

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

  1. Thanks to Shafeeq, Helped me to change my family HAYA to RP without any obstacles, as it seems to be very professional way.
    I would highly recommend Mr.Shafeeq to any one who need help
    Contact Mr.Shafeeq-30201007

  2. Its has been a pleasure to thank Mr.Shafeeq for assistance in helping us convert the HAYA to RP, He handled the procedure in a professional manner and made sure everything went according to schedule.
    I would heartily recommed him to anyone in need of his assistance.
    Mr.Shafeeq – Contact No -30201007

  3. I have used GCC taxi service to exit Qatar to Saudi and enter by land route, the journey was really comfortable and the GCC taxi person was helping during the complete exit and entry process, which makes the journey really smooth and enjoyable, I would like to recommend GCC taxi service If anyone looking for the smooth exit and entry process for RP
    Contact: 30201007

  4. Thanks for Dohaguids 🙏🏻

    It’s really helps to get RP visa from Hayya visa. Special thanks to Shafeek bro, i would like to share his contact ( 3020 1007) if any one need to change Hayya to RP, his hospitality is highly appreciated.

  5. Thanks to Mr. Shafeek and Mr. Ali for their assistance on my kids hayya to RP visa process they can provide you with a full assistance. Specially to Mr. Ali who is very knowledgeable on the process and ensure that our trip is not wasted and fixed everything accordingly. If anyone who has the same problem with us for hayya to RP they do door to door service and you just have to sit in the car for most part of it. Contact them directly. +974 30201007 and +974 70695607

  6. Hi
    Thank you for sharing such a wonderful information. Today, my family exited Qatar through the Abu Samara border and re-entered on RP. I appreciate everyone, including GCC Taxi, for their assistance in crossing the border. Thank you for your excellent service.

  7. I would like to commend Mr Shafiq (3020 1007) for helping and assisting us process my husband’s change visa from Hayya to RP. You can contact him through the number posted above. We just went last January 06, 2024. Indeed, a hassle free and more convenient transaction. He will pick you up from your home and vice versa. Thank you once again!

  8. Hi,

    I am on Qatar RP and since i lost my job i will have to leave feb29 2024. can I exit qatar through abu samra on my RP and re enter by taking hayya visit visa ?

  9. Hi DG,
    Good day.
    My 5-year-old son is here in Doha on a Hayya Visa. My wife and I are planning to apply for RP for him. Do children also need to Exit the country once we get the approval for the RP Visa?

    How long is the process for RP?

    Thank you. Have a good day!

    1. Doha Guides Team

      Hi Tony, As of now everyone has to exit the country to change the visa. Nowadays RP processing takes 2-4 weeks for most people. Could be longer in some cases.

    1. We booked our trip to Saudi Land border for changing Hayya Visa to Family Resident Visa with Mr. Shafeek ( +974 30201007)from Urban Alliance Company, and needless to say, he was awesome. He handled our entire trip in the most professional way, and we really appreciate him answering all our silly questions and explaining all that we needed to know. The whole experience was smooth and hassle free. Special shout out to Mr. Jassim, who accompanied us in this journey. He is very knowledgeable and was with us the entire time to handle all the questions from the officers and other staff. Highly recommend!

  10. For visa changing process from Hayya to RP by exiting & reentering Qatar by road, you can contact GCC taxi services Mr. Shafiq ( 30201007) , very professional person and helps in guiding and assisting in the entire process, communicates well with all the authorities in completing the entire process in a smooth way.
    I would like to thank him for the wonderful services provided and would highly recommend him for anyone looking to change from Hayya to RP by exiting & reentering Qatar by road.

    1. I completed my family’s Hayya to RP change by exiting and reentering through the Qatar-Saudi border. A team lead by Mr. Shafeek (Mobile No. 30201007), who has been providing this service, assisted us during the entire process, from the application of the Saudi Visit Visa until the completion of the reentry process into Qatar with the new RP.The team member was with us all the time for our assistance until the completion of the reentry process. I recommend Mr.Shafeek and Mr. Ali to anyone who needs Hayya to RP exit services through the border. My understanding is that they have been doing.

      Once again, I thank Mr. Shafeek and Mr. Ali for making things easier personally.

  11. Today successfully when to Saudi via Abu Samra border and returned Back to Qatar. this was done because my wife and kid was under hayya visa, and their family rp application was approved. since it cannot be converted ,we had to exit the country and come back again. thanks to Shafeek (+974 3020 1007) for arranging visa and transport.not only that ,even the driver helped us clear the immigration

    1. HI, I just read all the comments here. May i ask how much it will cost for the assistance? I want to change my Son’s visa Hayya to RP is it possible? Please i need help.

  12. My family has a Hayya visa, and I applied for a family visit. Two days later, the mentioned note (Person in country with visa) was rejected. Any solution for approval?

  13. My wife is here in Qatar on Haya with me, and I have applied for a family visit visa for her through Metrash2 which is already showing under process status, but I have concerns about whether it will be approved or they will ask to leave the country before applying for a family visit visa. Do you have any idea, please?

    1. Doha Guides Team

      Hi xyz, It gets approved for some, while some are getting messages that the person is inside the country. Note that even if gets approved you have to exit and re-enter using new visa.

  14. Hi,
    Currently my mother is in Qatar with hayya visa, as hayya visa is expiring on 24th Jan 2024.I am planning to apply for Family visit visa if it is approved by then will I be able to continue her stay in Qatar or shall I exit her via road at Abu Samra border and re enter into qatar. Kindly advise.

    1. Doha Guides Team

      Hi Auswath, She will have to exit and come back on new visa. As of now there is no option to change Hayya visa to another visa type.

  15. Hello Dears,

    I’m bringing my mother to qatar through Hammad Airport using Haya A1 visit visa which is single entry and planning to take her to Saudi for Omrah, so I request for her a normal qatar visit visa from Mitrash to be used to enter qatar from Saudi after Omrah.

    Anyone can advise if this a possible way and can be done to exit qatar, enter Saudi then come back to qatar?


    1. Doha Guides Team

      Hi Abdallah, Once she exits Qatar she can only come back on new visa. You can apply for new visit visa but chances of approval while inside the country are low. Sometimes the visa approval may be delayed. So please make sure you have alternate arrangements to stay in Saudi if the visa gets delayed.

      1. Hello Dears,

        Thanks for swift reply. I have another question.

        If her qatar family visit visa get delayed, then she will be allowed to exist Qatar through Salwa to Saudi during her Haya A1 visa validity period without a return proof as it is single entry visa noting that her first entry to Qatar was through Hamad Airport and she have an approved Saudi visit visa? as the action is to apply for another single Haya A1 visit visa during her stay in Saudi and when she enter Qatar to leave it again through Hamad Airport.

        1. Doha Guides Team

          Hi Abdallah, This is possible. Usually there is no restriction in exit through land border. However please contact Hayya helpline to ensure you can immediately apply for new visa after exit.

  16. Dears,
    Alhumdulillah I have changed hayya visa of my 2 kids to RP by exiting Qatar by Road and Mr.Shafiq (30201007) had helped me in entire process for changing visa by assisting me and guiding in a proper way and Talking to the Captain during whole process and picked up from my Residence and dropping me back to home safely.

    Once again I thank Mr.Shafiq for making things easier and personally requesting others to take help to such guys who can assist you in a wright way to make things easier.

  17. I completed my family’s Hayya to RP changing by doing exit and entry through Qatar-Saudi Border. A team lead by Mr. Shafeek (Mobile No 3020 1007) who has been providing this service, assisted us during the entire process from application for Saudi Visit visa until completion of entry process into Qatar with the new RP. The team member was with us all the time for our assistance until completion of entry process. I recommend Mr. Shafeek to anyone who needs Hayya to RP exit services through the border. My understanding is that they have been doing Umra services as well as Road Trip services from Qatar to other GCC countries.

  18. Hello Friends,

    I had completed the Hayya to RP visa changing process through the Abu Samrah Border. We went with Bro. Shafeek (+9743020 1007), he is very friendly and professional guy, who knows all the procedures . I’m thanking and recommending him, if anyone planning to go for any Hayya to RP Changes or Umrah through the land road.

    Thank you.

    1. is true ? but most of them says that need to travel back to native country and come to qatar , as well have to do the medical in the native country they says, i’m hopeless brother please tell me is it really happened and when ?

      1. Doha Guides Team

        Hi Aysha, The medical from home country is applicable only for Work Visa. This comment is about Family Residence Visa. For Family Visa medical is done inside Qatar. Once the Family Visa is approved you can exit Qatar and come back on Family Visa.

error: Content is protected !!