What is Exceptional Entry Permit to Return to Qatar?
Exceptional Entry Permit to Qatar is a temporary service provided to the residents who are currently stuck abroad due to COVID-19. This article explains the step-by-step process to apply for a permit to return to Qatar.
- What is Exceptional Entry Permit to Return to Qatar?
- Conditions for Entry to Qatar
- Procedure to Apply Exceptional Entry Permit to Return to Qatar
- Part 1: How to create a new account on Qatar Portal
- Part 2: Apply for Exceptional Entry Permit on Qatar Portal
- How to Check Status of Qatar Exceptional Entry Permit
- Applying Entry Permit for Family Members
- Exceptional Entry Permit Validity
- Other Conditions
- Documents Needed At Airport
- FAQ on Qatar Exceptional Entry Permit
Who needs an Exceptional Entry Permit?
Qatar residents who are currently outside Qatar and wish to return to the country needs an exceptional entry permit due to COVID-19 travel restrictions.
Who can apply for an Exceptional Entry Permit?
The Return Permit applications can be made by:
- a) Employers (whether individuals or companies, government or private sector) to apply for an entry permit for their employees.
- b) Residents to apply for an entry permit for their family members.
Conditions for Entry to Qatar
For Qatar residents: If the residents travelled from a low-risk country, then only “Exceptional Entry Permit” is required. If travelling from other countries, residents will not be able to board a flight to Qatar without approved “Exceptional Entry Permit” and a confirmed 7 days hotel* quarantine package.
For Qatari nationals and Permanent Residency holders: They do not require “Entry Permit”. However, 7 days hotel quarantine reservation is needed when travelling from one of the other countries.
Note: The approved hotel should be booked before booking the ticket. To confirm the approved hotel booking, please visit the “Discover Qatar” website.
Home quarantine rules
*In some special cases, as identified by the authority concerned with the quarantine, hotel quarantine may be changed to home quarantine.
Travellers returning from one of the countries on the list of low-risk countries are eligible for home quarantine. Also, travellers from any country with a COVID-19-free certificate from one of the MOPH approved testing centres can be home quarantined. The minimum period for home quarantine is seven days. You need to be tested at one of the health centres on the 6th day of home quarantine.
If you are back from a country that is not included in the low-risk list, a COVID-19-free certificate from one of the MOPH approved COVID-19 testing centres is a must to be home quarantined. Otherwise, you are hotel quarantined for a week, tested, then home quarantined for a week if tested negative.
Exceptions allowed to have home quarantine instead of hotel quarantine
The following vulnerable group returning from travel (Citizens and Residents) and their immediate family members living in the same household, including their domestic helpers returning with them, are eligible for home quarantine:
- Persons aged 55 years old and above.
- Recipients of an organ or bone marrow transplant.
- Patients with hypertension who are on treatment.
- Patients with conditions that require immune-suppressive treatment.
- Patients with heart failure or coronary artery disease.
- Patients with moderate to severe asthma.
- Cancer patients with metastasis and those on treatment (Chemotherapy or Radiotherapy).
- Pregnant women (any trimester).
- Nursing mothers with children aged 0-5 years.
- Patients with end-stage renal failure (ESRD) or on dialysis.
- Patients with CLD (Chronic Liver Disease) and decompensation.
- Patients with lower-limb amputations.
- People with disabilities where they are dependent on others for their activities of daily living.
- Children with disabilities and their mothers.
- Patients with epilepsy and on treatment.
- Patients with diabetic foot infections.
- People with deceased first degree relatives in the last 10 days.
- People with mental health problems on antipsychotic medications and whose condition is aggravated by staying in closed spaces
- Diabetic patients on treatment.
- Minor travellers (below 18 years old) travelling without an accompanied guardian.
Procedure to Apply Exceptional Entry Permit to Return to Qatar
If this is the first time you are using Qatar Portal, you need to create a new account. Part 1 below explains the steps to create an account. (If you already have an account, you can directly go to Part 2).
Part 1: How to create a new account on Qatar Portal
To login to Qatar Portal, you need an account on the National Authentication System (Tawtheeq). Here is how to create a Tawtheeq account:
Step 1: Go to Register new account link on NAS website.
Step 2: Select Account Type
Choose “Qatar citizens and residents” (unless you are a visitor or business representative).
Step 3: Enter QID and Mobile Number
Click on captcha and then on “Continue”
Step 4: Enter the verification code received on mobile
After entering the verification OTP, click on “Continue”
Step 5: Fill in your personal details
Details include Nationality, Name, Date of Birth, Gender, National Address, P.O.Box and Email ID. Click “Continue”
Step 6: Set a password
Re-enter the password and click continue.
Step 7: Confirmation message
Your Tawtheeq account will be activated after this step.
Part 2: Apply for Exceptional Entry Permit on Qatar Portal
Step 1: Go to Qatar Portal webpage
Step 2: Click on “Apply for Exceptional Entry”
Step 3: Click on “Apply Online”
Step 4: Login to Qatar Portal using NAS login page
Enter username and password. Click on “Continue”
Step 5: Select Type of Application
If you are applying for Company Employee, you have to enter Establishment ID and Applicant QID.
If you are applying for Family, you can select either all family members or a specific person.
Read terms and conditions and prepare all required attachments before starting the application.
Step 6: Fill in the application details
Enter the application page and fill in the required information correctly and completely as shown in passport. Enter your email correctly to receive approval on your application.
Step 7: Once approved, the entry permit would be sent to your email
After approval of the application, you will receive an email containing a copy of the entry permit. The resident can also contact the employer to obtain a copy.
The time frame for approval varies from person to person. While some applicants were approved within days, some applicants need a few weeks to be approved.
The permit and quarantine undertaking sent to the email must be printed out to be presented to the airport officials.
How to Check Status of Qatar Exceptional Entry Permit
You can check the status of the application by logging into Qatar Portal (as done during the application process above) and clicking on “My Applications” button on the top right.
Alternatively, you may call the Government Contact Center on 109 inside Qatar or +974 44069999 outside the country.
Applying Entry Permit for Family Members
If the sponsor is in the country, he/she can apply for an entry permit for his/her family members directly through Qatar Portal.
If the sponsor is outside the country, he/she must obtain an entry permit from his/her employer first. Only after obtaining the permit, the sponsor can apply for his/her family members through Qatar Portal.
For newborns up to six months, a visa upon arrival will be granted. So it is not required to apply for an entry permit.
Exceptional Entry Permit Validity
The validity of the entry permit is one month (30 days) from the date of its issuance. In the event of expiration, a new application can be submitted.
- The holder of the permit must download EHTERAZ application upon arrival.
- In the event that the resident is coming from a low-risk country, proof of stay for 7 consecutive days in the country from which the person is coming is required.
- The competent authorities reserve the right to accept or reject the permit application in accordance with the conditions and requirements of issuing the permits.
- The applicant must acknowledge that all data and information stated in the entry permit application are correct. If any discrepancy or misinformation is proved, legal liabilities for the same will apply, in accordance with the regulations and laws of the State of Qatar.
- Establishment data shall be updated at the Ministry of Administrative Development, Labour and Social Affairs before submitting the application.
- The Wage Protection System must be adhered to.
- There shall be existing projects and justifiable reasons for return.
Documents Needed At Airport
The following documents are needed at the airport:
- Qatar residence card
- Exceptional Entry Permit
- Hotel quarantine undertaking
- COVID examination certificate: In the event of coming from low-risk countries, a hard copy of the medical examination, conducted within a period not exceeding 48 hours in one of the accredited hospitals (if any), must be presented to concerned officials at the airport.
- Copy of the hotel reservation for quarantine: In the event of coming from other countries, a hard or soft copy of the residence reservation must be submitted in one of the hotels approved for the quarantine.
- Qatari and Permanent Residency holders and their families must complete and sign a Health Assessment Form. The form will be distributed among passengers by cabin crew onboard. On arrival back to Doha’s Hamad International Airport, the filled form must be submitted to the Medical team.
For more information, you can call on 109 inside Qatar or +974 44069999 outside Qatar.
You can also find more information on the MOPH website.
Copyright © DohaGuides.com – Full or partial reproduction of this article is prohibited.
FAQ on Qatar Exceptional Entry Permit
Who is authorized to apply for an entry permit?
The employer is the only authorized party to apply for the resident’s entry permit. Regarding family members, the resident may submit an entry permit request for them, provided that he/she has an entry permit while being outside the country.
How long is the validity of the permit?
The Exceptional Entry Permit to Qatar is valid for 30 days from the date of issue.
What happens if my Qatari Residence Permit was expired?
Yes, it is possible to apply for an entry permit for those whose residency has expired while they are outside Qatar.
Can the entry permit application be rejected?
Yes, the concerned authorities can reject the permit application if it does not meet the conditions and requirements for granting the permit
If an entry permit application is rejected, can I apply again?
Yes, it is possible to apply again after fulfilling all the conditions that led to the rejection of the application.