According to the announcement by Qatar’s Ministry of Public Health (MOPH), on 8th May 2021, citizens of GCC countries (Bahrain, Kuwait, Oman, Saudi Araba and UAE) are now allowed to enter the State of Qatar at any time, provided they follow the travel and return policy. Similarly, GCC residents from eligible countries can get visas on arrival.
This article explains the mandatory travel and quarantine rules for GCC citizens to enter Qatar.
If you are a GCC resident and citizen of an eligible country, please read this article on Qatar’s visa on arrival scheme.
Travel Requirements for GCC Citizens & Residents
According to the MOPH travel and return policy, GCC citizens, their families, and their household workers are allowed to enter the State of Qatar at any time, provided they follow the travel and return policy.
Mandatory COVID-19 PCR Test Result
GCC citizens should have a mandatory pre-travel COVID-19 PCR test result valid for 72 hours before arrival to Qatar from a testing centre approved by their local health authority.
Registration on Ehteraz Website
13 JULY 2021 UPDATE: Visitors should register through the Ehteraz website at least 12 hours before travel, and upload the required official documents. Ehteraz pre-arrival registration is optional for citizens and residents, while registration and obtaining prior approval is compulsory for visitors. See our detailed guide to Ehteraz Pre-Travel Registration here.
Installation of Ehteraz Mobile App
All travellers are required to install and activate Qatar’s COVID-19 mobile app called “Ehteraz” on their mobile phone using locally authorized SIM cards (Ooredoo or Vodafone).
Quarantine Rules for GCC Citizens
GCC citizens, their families, and their household workers who were unvaccinated or did not meet the quarantine exemption criteria explained below should be hotel quarantined at their own expense. The period of quarantine depends upon the colour code assigned to your country of departure.
|Coming from Green countries||5 days home quarantine|
|Coming from Yellow countries||7 days hotel quarantine|
|Coming from Red countries||10 days hotel quarantine|
All GCC countries (Bahrain, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia, Oman and UAE) are currently on Yellow code which means you will need 7 days hotel quarantine and a repeat RT-PCR test (at the traveller’s expense) will be done in the hotel on day 6. You will be discharged on day 7 if the test is negative.
The hotel quarantine package should be booked through the Discover Qatar website before travelling to Qatar.
Exemption for Fully Vaccinated Individuals
Fully vaccinated GCC citizens who received any of the COVID-19 vaccines recognized in Qatar with at least 14 days since the last dose and present an official vaccination card or certificate are exempted from quarantine. The validity of the vaccine to grant quarantine exemption is 12 months, starting 14 days after the second dose.
Only the following vaccines will be accepted by Qatar’s MOPH:
- Pfizer BioNTech (two doses)
- Moderna (two doses)
- AstraZeneca/Covishield (two doses)
- Janssen/Johnson & Johson (one dose)
- Sinopharm is a conditionally approved vaccine and visitors vaccinated with both doses of Sinopharm have to undergo a COVID-19 antibody test upon arrival in Qatar. They should also book a hotel quarantine package in advance. If the additional test returns a negative result, they will be refunded according to the Discover Qatar check out policy.
Travellers must present an official vaccination certificate with a valid QR Code that includes the following information:
- Name of the recipient as mentioned in their passport
- Vaccination date clearly written as 1st and/or 2nd dose
- Type/Name of vaccine
- Vaccine lot number (if available)
- Official logo and stamp of the vaccination authority
Exemption for Previously Infected Persons
GCC citizens who have been previously infected with COVID-19 and have then received a single dose of vaccine may be exempted from quarantine once two weeks after vaccination have elapsed. This will be subject to proper certification and a pre-arrival PCR test with a negative result.
The same exemption can be applied to those who have been infected after receiving a single dose of vaccine once two weeks has elapsed.
Quarantine Policy For Children
- Unvaccinated children aged (0-11) travelling with their fully vaccinated parents shall be exempted from the quarantine if they come from green listed countries.
- Unvaccinated children aged (0-11) travelling with their fully vaccinated parents shall be subjected to hotel quarantine for 07 days if they come from yellow listed countries.
- 20 JULY 2021 UPDATE: Unvaccinated children (of any age) travelling from red listed countries like India, Pakistan, Philippines, Srilanka, UK etc will not be get visa on arrival / visitor visa.
The exemption from quarantine applies to GCC citizens entering Qatar through either Hamad International Airport or the Abu Samra land crossing.
Please see the MOPH website for the latest updates. As the rules can be revised at any time, we strongly recommend that you check this regularly for any changes that may affect your plans.
READ NEXT: How GCC Residents Can Travel Via Qatar
Sources: MOPH, Ministry of Interior, Discover Qatar
Copyright © DohaGuides.com – Full or partial reproduction of this article is prohibited.
You May Also Like:
- Qatar Quarantine Rules: Complete Guide
- How To Do Ehteraz Pre-Travel Registration: Complete Guide
- Qatar Visa On Arrival Complete Guide
- Qatar Visa on Arrival for GCC Residents
- Vaccinated Outside Qatar: How To Get Quarantine Exception