From 29th November 2020, the quarantine period for travellers to Qatar will be for one week only after arrival in the country, regardless of country of origin. However, the quarantine period for those who use shared quarantine facilities will be for two weeks.
This article explains everything you need to know about Qatar quarantine rules including eligibility for home quarantine, rules for home quarantine, the procedure to be followed etc.
- Qatar Quarantine Rules: Home Quarantine
- Eligibility for Home Quarantine
- Exceptions for people travelling from other countries
- Rules for Home Quarantine
- Housing Conditions for Home Quarantine
- Period for Home Quarantine
- Unaccompanied Minors
- Qatar Quarantine Rules: Hotel Quarantine
- Hotel Quarantine
- Mekaines Motel Quarantine
- Steps for Booking Hotel Quarantine
- Important Points To Consider
- Qatar Quarantine Rules: Testing for COVID-19
- Ehteraz Status During Quarantine
Qatar Quarantine Rules: Home Quarantine
Eligibility for Home Quarantine
As per the latest updates, following categories are eligible of home quarantine:
- Those coming from countries on the Ministry of Public Health’s Green List
- Foreign Diplomats, with approval to enter Qatar.
- Holders of ID cards issued by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
- Vulnerable groups (given below) from all other countries, eligible for an exception.
Exceptions for people travelling from other countries
The following vulnerable group returning from travel (Qatari and Residents) and their immediate family members living in the same household, including their domestic helpers returning with them, are eligible for home quarantine:
- Persons aged 55 years old and above.
- Recipients of an organ or bone marrow transplant.
- Patients with hypertension who are on treatment.
- Patients with conditions that require immune-suppressive treatment.
- Patients with heart failure or coronary artery disease.
- Patients with moderate to severe asthma.
- Cancer patients with metastasis and those on treatment (Chemotherapy or Radiotherapy).
- Pregnant women (any trimester).
- Nursing mothers with children aged 0-5 years.
- Patients with End-Stage Renal Failure (ESRD) or on dialysis.
- Patients with CLD (Chronic Liver Disease) and decompensation.
- Patients with lower-limb amputations.
- People with disabilities where they are dependent on others for their activities of daily living.
- Children with disabilities and their mothers.
- Patients with epilepsy and on treatment.
- Patients with diabetic foot infections.
- People with deceased first degree relatives in the last 10 days.
- People with mental health problems on antipsychotic medications and whose condition is aggravated by staying in closed spaces
- Diabetic patients on treatment.
- Minor travellers (below 18 years old) travelling without an accompanied guardian.
For those applying exception on medical ground, the request is reviewed by a medical team to ensure that the information is accurate by checking the resident’s medical file to decide if he/she is eligible for a home or hotel quarantine. The same applies to travellers who fill their Health Assessment Form before arrival to the Airport.
Rules for Home Quarantine
- You must have a suitable housing condition (given below) with the availability of your own room and linked bathroom.
- You must sign an undertaking to abide by the rules of home-based quarantine.
- You must watch a short video on the home quarantine measures and read the Home Quarantine Booklet.
- You must apply preventive measures at home to protect others.
- You must have a swab test on day 6 after your arrival back to Doha at one of the PHCC healthcare centres.
- You must answer the phone calls from the public health team during your home quarantine.
- You must agree to receive a visit from the public health team every 2 to 3 days.
- You must inform the public health team if you develop any symptoms (fever, cough, body aches, change in taste or smell)
- You must download the Ehteraz app.
- You should not receive visitors while under home quarantine.
Housing Conditions for Home Quarantine
The house should have a separate room with an ensuite bathroom. If the house is not suitable for home quarantine, then the individual should book one of the hotel quarantine packages via the “Discover Qatar” website.
The housing condition will not be checked; however, the individual will sign a Home Quarantine undertaking that their house condition complies with the requirements.
Period for Home Quarantine
You must undergo at least seven days of home quarantine following your return to Qatar. Quarantine period for those who use shared quarantine facilities will be for two weeks.
After the 7 day home self isolation has elapsed, the traveller must go to one of the dedicated health centres to get another Coronavirus test. If the result is positive, the traveller will be transferred to isolation, and if it is negative, the quarantine period ends at the end of that week and the traveller’s status on the Ehteraz application will change to green.
- Unaccompanied minors under the age of 18 at the date of check-in will be given an exception upon arrival in Doha and allowed to quarantine at home.
- They must have an Exceptional Entry Permit
- They do not need to have a valid Hotel booking to be able to travel
Qatar Quarantine Rules: Hotel Quarantine
All travellers departing from Qatar will need to book and pay for one of the approved quarantine hotel packages, which must be booked before departure from Qatar, if the return date is planned on or before 31 December, and the exceptions listed above are not satisfied.
Eligible travellers currently outside Qatar will also need to book and pay for one of the approved quarantine hotel packages.
You will need to make your booking directly through the “Discover Qatar” website for a stay at an approved quarantine hotel.
All hotel reservations will be on a full board basis. This will consist of breakfast, lunch and evening meal as a minimum. You can share the room only with direct relatives. A maximum of 2 adults and 1 child 6 years or under may share a room.
UPDATE 24 December 2020: Ministry of Public Health has designated 6 hotels for mandatory quarantine for travellers returning from the United Kingdom, South Africa, the Netherlands and Denmark. The hotels are:
La Cigale Hotel – Assigned for MOPH Patients
InterContinental Doha – The City
Mercure Grand Hotel
City Centre Rotana
The Torch Doha
Radisson Blu Hotel
Mekaines Motel Quarantine
These are shared motel accommodations for domestic staff, company sponsored and other workers.
Mekaines Motel is a budget motel providing comfortable rooms and is located in Alsheehaniya, Mekaines area on Salwa Road. Rooms feature a shower with hot and cold water, amenities and a kettle. There is no wi-fi or internet access point available at the accommodation. The rates are cheaper than hotel quarantine.
Cost of accommodation starts from QAR 105 per day. This includes 3 meals a day, breakfast, lunch and evening meal, plus one-way coach transport from Hamad International Airport to the accommodation. The coach will operate throughout the day, and may involve a wait at the airport.
An additional insurance premium will be required in case of any extension to the quarantine period. This amount will be calculated at QAR 700 per person in shared accommodation, QAR 1400 for single accommodation, paid for 20% of the individuals on the booking (at the higher rate if there is a mix of shared and single rooms). If this is not used, it will be repaid in full
Effective from 23 November, for arrivals from 1 December, a supplement of QAR 235 per person is payable to guarantee access to a mobile phone and SIM card on arrival at Hamad International Airport. This is to ensure access to the Ehteraz App on arrival, which is a mandatory requirement for entry into Qatar. If a mobile and / or SIM is not required, a refund can be requested for any unused supplement amount.
Steps for Booking Hotel Quarantine
- Visit Qatar Portal to request approval for your Exceptional Entry Permit
- Once approved, check the “Type of Quarantine” stated on your certificate. If this states “Hotel” then you must book a quarantine package hotel from Discover Qatar
- Check availability for your confirmed flight.
- Book your quarantine package hotel.
- Book your flight.
- Ensure you have copies of your Exceptional Entry Permit and your Discover Qatar Hotel Voucher, as well as your flight documents when you check-in for your flight. If you cannot produce these documents, you may not be able to board your flight. Dates for your arrival and your hotel check-in must match.
Please also be aware that if you qualify to self-quarantine at home, if your preference is to book a self-funded quarantine package in a hotel, this is permitted.
Important Points To Consider
Once a booking is confirmed, amendments to quarantine hotel packages cannot be made. Once you have made your booking it is non-refundable and the dates cannot be amended. Please therefore do not book your quarantine package until you are sure that the details are correct.
The only exception to this condition is if your airline cancels your flight, in which case you will be eligible to amend the dates of your booking once only. Any new quarantine package booked will be subject to availability and the daily arrival limit. Any differential on the package prices will be payable.
NOTE: Qatar residents who travel out of the country from 29 November 2020 will receive automatic approval for entry permit. Here is the complete guide.
Qatar Quarantine Rules: Testing for COVID-19
For the safety of all passengers, Qatar Airways requires passengers travelling from certain gateways to present a negative COVID-19 RT-PCR medical test result when checking in.
Additionally, many countries around the world have specific regulations in place for arriving and departing passengers in order to limit the spread of COVID-19. Please ensure that you understand how all these travel requirements affect you when planning your trip. More information is available on Qatar Airways website.
COVID-19 Test Before Coming to Doha
If you’ve been tested in one of the MOPH approved COVID-19 testing centres abroad and had a COVID-19 free certificate (48hrs), you are exempted from testing at the airport and eligible for home quarantine for one week.
You should present your COVID-19-free certificate to the Medical officers at the Airport and begin your 7-days period of home quarantine.
If you have not done the testing you would be tested at Hamad International Airport. The test will be free of cost. Children of all ages are also tested for COVID-19.
COVID-19 Test After Home / Hotel Quarantine
Those on home quarantine has to be tested at one of the health centers on the 6th day. If the test result is positive, the individual is isolated and their health status on Ehteraz will change to red. If it is negative, then the quarantine period is completed by the end of the seventh day and their health status on Ehteraz will change to green.
Ehteraz Status During Quarantine
- Travelers returning to the State of Qatar must download and activate the Ehteraz app on their mobiles upon arrival at Hamad International Airport. The following requirements must be met to achieve that:
- A Qatari SIM Card from a local telecom operator (Ooredoo and Vodafone).
- Internet access.
- A smartphone that supports either Android 6 and up or IOS 13.5 and up.
Your health status on Ehteraz will change to Yellow within a few hours from arrival, which means that you are under quarantine.
Your Ehteraz status will remain Yellow for the full duration of the Quarantine, even if you do the swab test on day 6, and your result is negative, your Ehteraz will remain Yellow until you have completed the full quarantine course, which is the midnight of the last day of quarantine.
Note that if you do your swab test earlier than your scheduled day, even if the result is negative, your health status on Ehteraz will remain Yellow, and you will need to repeat the swab test.
For more information, you can contact the relevant entities responsible for each process, and they are as follow:
- For the “Exceptional Entry Permit”, please visit the “Qatar Portal” website, or call on (109) inside Qatar or (+974 44069999) outside Qatar.
- For Hotel Quarantine Package Booking, please visit the “Discover Qatar” website or call on (+974 4423 7999).
- For Quarantine or Ehteraz application, call the hotline (16000) or the Governmental Health Communication Center through the Ministry of Public Health Website.
Please see MOPH website for latest updates. As the rules can be revised at any time, we strongly recommend that you check this regularly for any changes that may affect your plans.
Copyright © DohaGuides.com – Full or partial reproduction of this article is prohibited.
Information source: Ministry of Public Health, Ministry of Interior, Qatar Airways
FAQ on Qatar Quarantine Rules
Are children older than 5 exempted from hotel quarantine, if their mother was eligible for home quarantine?
Yes. The vulnerable group returning from travel and their immediate family members living in the same household are eligible for home quarantine.
Which countries can I travel to and undergo home quarantine on return?
Travellers returning from one of the countries on the COVID-19 Green List are eligible for home quarantine.
Will I be tested during my period of home quarantine?
Yes. You will be tested at one of the health centers on the 6th day of home quarantine.
Will my Ehteraz status change when I return from travel?
Yes. Upon arrival back to Doha, your health status on Ehteraz will change to Yellow within a few hours from arrival, which means that you are under quarantine.