According to a recent announcement by Qatar’s Ministry of Public Health (MoPH), visitors to Qatar are required to have a health insurance policy starting from 1 February 2023.
Qatar’s Law No. (22) of 2021 regulating healthcare services in Qatar stipulates that visitors must be covered by a mandatory health insurance scheme. The mandatory health insurance scheme will be implemented in phases, and the first phase has started on 1 February 2023.
This article will discuss everything you need to know about health insurance for visitors to Qatar, including the cost, coverage, authorised providers and how visitors can buy health insurance.
- Is Health Insurance For Visitors To Qatar Mandatory?
- Why is Qatar introducing a health insurance policy?
- How To Get Visitors’ Health Insurance?
- MOPH Approved Health Insurance
- Cost of Visitor's Health Insurance Policy:
- Validity Period of Health Insurance For Visitors To Qatar
- Coverage Under Visitor's Health Insurance Policy
- Criteria for Accepting International Health Policy
- MOPH Helpline
- Frequently Asked Questions
Is Health Insurance For Visitors To Qatar Mandatory?
Starting 1 February 2023, all visitors to Qatar applying for a visitor’s visa are required to have health insurance policies. This is mandatory for all types of visit visas including Family Visit Visa, GCC Residents Visit Visa, and Visa On Arrival.
AUGUST 2023 UPDATE: According to Qatar Government’s Hukoomi helpline, visitors traveling on an instant visa and staying in Qatar for less than 30 days do not need to obtain Health insurance. However it is highly recommended to have insurance as it can be helpful in case of an emergency.
GCC citizens are exempted from the mandatory health insurance while entering Qatar.
Why is Qatar introducing a health insurance policy?
According to MOPH, the health and well-being of visitors are of paramount importance. Therefore the Government has established the necessary regulations to ensure that visitors are protected against accidents and medical emergency-related conditions during their stay.
By implementing a sustainable and effective healthcare system, and by regulating healthcare expenditures, the scheme aims to regulate health insurance and ensure continuous improvements.
How To Get Visitors’ Health Insurance?
Visitors Applying For Visit Visa Online
- Visitors applying for a visit visa online via the Metrash App will be directed to the MOPH website.
- There, they can select one of the insurance companies registered with the Ministry to purchase the visitors’ policy after completion of all other relevant visa requirements.
- Once the insurance policy is issued by the selected insurance company, the Ministry of Interior will issue the appropriate visit visa.
The Visitor will receive the Health Insurance Policy from the website of the Insurance companies. The policy can be printed, kept and shown when needed.
Visitors Eligible For Visa On Arrival
To ensure speedy completion of your procedures upon arrival at the various border crossings (airport, land and seaports), visitors are advised to purchase a visitor insurance policy before arriving at these ports from the MOPH link provided below and follow the same procedures mentioned.
MOPH Approved Health Insurance
The registered insurance companies are listed on the Ministry of Public Health’s website. Visitors can choose any one of the listed insurance companies through the links available on MOPH website:
The registered insurance companies (in alphabetical order) are:
- Al Khaleej Takaful Insurance
- Beema Damaan Islamic Insurance Company
- Doha Insurance Group
- Doha Takaful
- General Takaful
- Islamic Insurance
- Qatar General Insurance & Reinsurance Co. Q.P.S.C.
- Qatar Insurance Company
- QLM Life & Medical Insurance Company
MoPH has indicated that for visitors who hold international health insurance, the insurance policy must include Qatar, be valid during their stay in the country and be issued by one of the insurance companies approved in Qatar.
Cost of Visitor’s Health Insurance Policy:
The standard premium for a single insurance policy will be QAR 50 for 30 days (USD 13.73). For the extension of a visit visa beyond 30 days, the visitor will have to buy an additional policy.
In addition, visitors can obtain additional health insurance policies, and the premiums for these policies will vary depending on the insurance company’s prices.
Health insurance premiums cannot be refunded after the purchase of the policy if the stay duration is less than the period of the visa.
Validity Period of Health Insurance For Visitors To Qatar
The effective date of coverage is the date of entry of the visitor at any border.
If the visitor wishes to extend his/her stay in the State of Qatar, then he/she must purchase a new health insurance policy.
The minimum duration of the visitor’s insurance policy is 30 days, it is not possible to purchase a policy with less than this duration.
The basic visitor insurance policy in case of a single-entry visa expires upon leaving the State of Qatar through any air, sea or land ports.
There is an insurance policy for multiple-entry visas and it remains valid from the date of entry until the policy expires.
Coverage Under Visitor’s Health Insurance Policy
The mandatory health insurance for visitors will only cover emergency medical treatments and accidents.
Emergency Medical Treatment:
- Up to QAR 150,000 for the policy period and within the State of Qatar.
- Emergency medical assistance with a sub-limit of QAR 35,000, includes:
- Emergency ambulance transportation within the State of Qatar, and where necessary.
COVID-19 and Quarantine:
- Sub-limit up to QAR 50,000.
- Covid-19 treatment for positive cases.
- Quarantine expenses (for confirmed cases) are up to QAR 300 per day.
In the event of the visitor’s death within the State of Qatar, the cost of repatriation is covered up to an amount of QAR 10,000.
Is there a waiting period for this policy to be active?
No, there will be no waiting period for the visitor’s health insurance policy.
Does the policy require any copayment or deductible?
No copayment or deductible will be required for any covered services as per the terms and conditions stipulated in the visitor’s health insurance policy.
Criteria for Accepting International Health Policy
In addition to the listed insurance companies, Qatar MOI may accept some international health insurance companies, subject to the fulfilment of the following conditions and requirements set by the Ministry of Public Health to be accepted for entry visa issuance:
- To be issued by one of the insurance companies included in the approved list by the Ministry of Public Health.
- Its geographical coverage includes the State of Qatar.
- To be valid and cover the period of stay in the country.
- To cover emergency services and accidents with an annual limit of 150,000 Riyals or more, without deductibles or excesses.
- To include a QR code.
The policy can be uploaded to the website of the Ministry of Interior or a paper copy to be submitted to the competent officer at the border crossing.
In case of any queries about the mandatory health insurance policy, you can call the MOPH Helpline on 16000 (inside Qatar). Extension number 1 is dedicated to health insurance. International visitors can call 00974-44069963.
For complaints, you can email: [email protected]
Frequently Asked Questions
Is travel insurance mandatory for Qatar visit visa?
Yes, travel insurance is mandatory for all visitors to Qatar with effect from 1 February 2023.
How much is the travel insurance fee for Qatar visit visa?
The premium for the Mandatory Visitors’ Health Insurance policy is QAR 50 per month.
Does the Visitor Health Insurance Policy cover me in GCC or other countries?
No. The Visitor Health Insurance coverage is limited to the State of Qatar only.
What documents are needed in case of emergency treatment?
Passport & Insurance Policy Documents will be required for emergency treatment.
Does the basic insurance policy for visitors cover emergencies during travel?
The basic visitor insurance policy coverage begins upon the visitor entering the State of Qatar.
- How Hayya Card Holders Can Visit Qatar in 2023
- Qatar Visa On Arrival For Indians: Complete Guide
- GCC Residents Visit Visa (With List of Professions)
- Qatar Family Visit Visa: Requirements and Procedure
- Qatar Family Residence Visa Procedure
Copyright © DohaGuides.com – Full or partial reproduction of this article is prohibited.